IGNORED

Updated advertisements on the site

BowhunterNJ

Hey guys and gals, just wanted to give you a heads up that a new ad structure is being put in place on the site.  The ad platform I was using was sunset by it's provider, and with the operating costs increasing due to the great folks and activity here, I needed to try something new in an effort to generate a little revenue to cover the expenses.

No worries for all the sponsors, your ads are still in place and are still FREE!

This is really a feel out process for the new ads, so we'll adjust as needed based on member feedback.  If something is absolutely horrendous, just let us know.  The last thing we want to do is create a negative user experience!  The goal is to try to balance out generating some revenue while being as non-intrusive as possible and keeping this site enjoyable for everyone.  Generally speaking, common practice is to do the ad structure I already had in place, but to also place some within the topics.  You've certainly seen the same approach on other sites.

With any luck, hopefully I can generate enough revenue to pay for the site and have a little left over to start doing some product giveaways and give back to all of you!

There are also other options, such as creating membership and sponsor structures based on donations/monthly/annual fees where ads can be hidden (i.e. pay to support site and hide ads), but I've very much avoided trying to putting that on you guys at the cost of placing ads for all (some of which may actually be useful, I've seen a number of people have purchased items via Amazon through our site's affiliated link and that helps out for sure!)

As always, if you guys have any feedback, please don't hesitate to chime in! :up:

25 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

There is a link to Amazon here? If we purchase something on amazon by going through this links that would help you? I didn't realize this, I just made a purchase two days ago on amazon...wish I knew I  would have gone through the link.

They were in the mix of ads.  I just added one to the right sidebar that's fixed, as well as another on the sidebar rotation until the new ads kick in.  If you click that and then buy on Amazon, the site gets a credit/commission for the sales. :up:

17 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

They were in the mix of ads.  I just added one to the right sidebar that's fixed, as well as another on the sidebar rotation until the new ads kick in.  If you click that and then buy on Amazon, the site gets a credit/commission for the sales. :up:

wish i new , my wife orders something every other F$@&ing day .we get so many deliveries my neigbors think i work for UPS ...

46 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I didnt know that..  I just told my wife whenever she shops on Amazon to go on here and click on the link 1st!!

Knowing her it'll probably make  the site alot of cash!!!

Just an FYI, the ad placements has started.  It'll take some time to get the layout worked out.  Once the setup is complete, I'll let you guys know and then we can start looking at what's causing negative user viewing experiences and tune the ads from there.  Thanks for your patience during the setup!

Just so I'm clear - do you get paid for "views" of ads? Or just for "clicks" on ads?

If you get paid for "views" (that is, every time someone sees the ads, but doesn't necessarily click on them), I'll leave my ad-blocker disabled for this site. If you get paid ONLY for clicks, I'll turn it back on, because I never click on ads anyway :)

But if you get paid for views, I'll leave my ad-blocker disabled to help with the view count at least.

20 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Just so I'm clear - do you get paid for "views" of ads? Or just for "clicks" on ads?

If you get paid for "views" (that is, every time someone sees the ads, but doesn't necessarily click on them), I'll leave my ad-blocker disabled for this site. If you get paid ONLY for clicks, I'll turn it back on, because I never click on ads anyway :)

But if you get paid for views, I'll leave my ad-blocker disabled to help with the view count at least.

Both views and clicks are important.  But having a good user experience here is most important. I look at it like they're pretty easy to ignore and if you see a product ad that is interesting or targets something you're in the market for, then click and check it out.  Could help you and the site.  If not just ignore and continue.  :up: