IGNORED

Mushroom ID

SPEARFISH

Go to shop rite if your not sure. A friend of mine was picking in Walpack a few weeks ago. Well to say the least it almost killed him as they were mixed in with poison ivy. Cut them up tossed them in a salad and an hour later he was in Newton Medical center as his throat was closing. Drs asked hi for a sample and advised highly poisonous along with tainted poison ivy. You need to be an expert at this to get it done right and it can be done. With the rain their everywhere.. if someone can post pics on what are and are not edible it would help  a lot of folks. 

10 hours ago, MPSR said:

Go to shop rite if your not sure. A friend of mine was picking in Walpack a few weeks ago. Well to say the least it almost killed him as they were mixed in with poison ivy. Cut them up tossed them in a salad and an hour later he was in Newton Medical center as his throat was closing. Drs asked hi for a sample and advised highly poisonous along with tainted poison ivy. You need to be an expert at this to get it done right and it can be done. With the rain their everywhere.. if someone can post pics on what are and are not edible it would help  a lot of folks. 

There are no old, bold mushroom hunters it is true.

But joining a club like the NJ Mycological Society will teach you a lot and build up your confidence around identifying a few (almost) unmistakable ones.

In my experience the key is to learn to identify not just the edible ones but also the lookalikes of the edible ones - that will give you more certainty that you do not have an inedible and potentially poisonous lookalike.

I find eating food that I have foraged myself intensely satisfying and delicious to eat whether it is deer, fish, edible plants or fungi.

Edited by madeinuk

But joining a club like the NJ Mycological Society will teach you a lot and build up your confidence around identifying a few (almost) unmistakable ones.

I may do this.

Ny has a Mythological club too. The pres wrote a few books.

RIP Gary Lincoff

http://newyorkmyc.org/

During the year, the NJ/NY groups hold mushroom walks with the experts and sometimes mushroom cooking and sampling.

NYC Central Park walk and NY state walks were held. Don't be that guy to eat the wrong fungi.