IGNORED

Stealth walking

megavites

Just sparking conversation for the benefit of others. Sometimes I've been guilty of moving too quickly thru the woods. Just last wk I bumped a buck from a spot I was not expecting.  Most times I will save the last 100-200yds for a slow "stealth walk".  This may be in conjunction with using environmental noise, be it wind, cars passing or airplanes above. Also, as your approaching your stand, pausing and scanning as far out as you can see. Although this video is related to martial arts, it applies to hunting using a heel-toe technique. There's also a toe 1st technique, a squirrel walk (rustle-4-5 steps-rustle) etc.. So I figured I'd share this as the leaves will soon fall.

I read a book a number of years ago written by  a traditional bow hunter ( I can't recall his name at this moment but I'm sure some one can help me out) but he wrote in his book about how to walk in the woods as to not spook game. First off you do have to move slowly(it takes me a couple of times going out to get my speed slow enough). One of the things he wrote on this subject that he stressed on was wearing to right footwear. He recommended LL Bean boots. The ones with softer rubber soles or even canvas sneakers because you can feel what's laying on the ground under your feet much better than modern hunting boots with the "lug" soles. Another huge point he stressed was keeping the wind in your face. He also recommended stalking when the conditions are correct like when the wind was blowing or when wet. Trying to walk on dry leaves makes a lot of noise and everything in the area will hear you moving around.  I hope this helped.

3 hours ago, Hondo said:

I read a book a number of years ago written by  a traditional bow hunter ( I can't recall his name at this moment but I'm sure some one can help me out) but he wrote in his book about how to walk in the woods as to not spook game. First off you do have to move slowly(it takes me a couple of times going out to get my speed slow enough). One of the things he wrote on this subject that he stressed on was wearing to right footwear. He recommended LL Bean boots. The ones with softer rubber soles or even canvas sneakers because you can feel what's laying on the ground under your feet much better than modern hunting boots with the "lug" soles. Another huge point he stressed was keeping the wind in your face. He also recommended stalking when the conditions are correct like when the wind was blowing or when wet. Trying to walk on dry leaves makes a lot of noise and everything in the area will hear you moving around.  I hope this helped.

Hondo,

I think your refering to 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0965770206/?coliid=I3VQAH98JKKN1X&colid=44HBFSQY48TE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible Paperback – 1997

by G. Fred Asbell 

Don't buy it from Amazon though. You can find it online for $14-$20. Alot of good info.

I've always been able to get to a stand in super crunchy leaves on a cold fall day and seen deer within minutes by staggering my steps, not walking with a stride like a human and using a push button turkey call. Couple steps , Yelp Yelp, couple steps Yelp, use call to cover your steps as well. Give it a try. You'll be amazed.

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

On 9/30/2018 at 12:56 PM, megavites said:

Hondo,

I think your refering to 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0965770206/?coliid=I3VQAH98JKKN1X&colid=44HBFSQY48TE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

by G. Fred Asbell 

Don't buy it from Amazon though. You can find it online for $14-$20. Alot of good info.

Buy used on Amazon $17. same link. 

6104cFWZljL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, megavites said:

Hondo,

I think your refering to 

by G. Fred Asbell 

Yes. This is the book I was referring