IGNORED

Grouse come back

MPSR

Tonight I walked my dog at an abondoned farm on old mine road in Walpack.

as I’ve been training him for the oncoming season we came across 3 woodcock by the rivers edge.

As we were coming out their a patch of thick pines he goes in to chase the red Squirrels. When His bell went silent I knew he was locked up. As I made my way to his left I saw he was looking up into a small pine tree. When I got around  2 feet from him not one but two grouse. Blew out of the tree. In a thunderous launch they were gone. I’ve Have shot plenty of Gross in Vermont but can honestly say I’ve not seen one since early nineties. This was exciting to see. If it was the season I would have let them go... Has anyone on the site been seeing Grouse? I’m assuming this was a good sign but still far and few in between..

5 hours ago, MPSR said:

Tonight I walked my dog at an abondoned farm on old mine road in Walpack.

as I’ve been training him for the oncoming season we came across 3 woodcock by the rivers edge.

As we were coming out their a patch of thick pines he goes in to chase the red Squirrels. When His bell went silent I knew he was locked up. As I made my way to his left I saw he was looking up into a small pine tree. When I got around  2 feet from him not one but two grouse. Blew out of the tree. In a thunderous launch they were gone. I’ve Have shot plenty of Gross in Vermont but can honestly say I’ve not seen one since early nineties. This was exciting to see. If it was the season I would have let them go... Has anyone on the site been seeing Grouse? I’m assuming this was a good sign but still far and few in between..

There are a lot in that area. :up:

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

I have not seen a grouse on Sparta Mt since the 90s but I do see them pretty regularly on both sides of the Kittatinny Ridge where you were MPSR.  The decline was due to a combination of West Nile Virus and not enough young forest habitat.  Where grouse have quality habitat, like the area you were in, they have a better chance of surviving the virus. 

https://shootingsportsman.com/grouse-west-nile-virus/

Was scouting yesterday in Morris County (no weekend hunting in this park), I was walking through a thick “beary “ area next to a trail and flushed a covey of 5 or 6 grouse! Scared the crap out of me but once I composed myself and realized I wasn’t being mauled by a bear I got out the binos and id’d them.

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

I was talking to my step father who lives in Maine yesterday and he said that the grouse numbers are down in his area (30 miles south of Houlton) because of the turkeys recently showing up. I don't know if it is factual but when I hunted up there years ago the grouse were thick and turkeys didn't inhabit that area.

Jim good to hear!! I have a few grouse mounted.. So they all get the pass on me.. it’s nice to see a few again..

i remeber trout fishing years ago in flatbrookville and hearing the drum on the mountain tops. State should but a band on hunting them for a few years to see if numbers truly comeback. Their enough wood Cock and pheasant to chase early in the year...

Jim good to hear!! I have a few grouse mounted.. So they all get the pass on me.. it’s nice to see a few again..
i remeber trout fishing years ago in flatbrookville and hearing the drum on the mountain tops. State should but a band on hunting them for a few years to see if numbers truly comeback. Their enough wood Cock and pheasant to chase early in the year...

Many studies have proven that hunting has no long term impact on their populations. Predators take a certain percentage and a grouse a person shoots is just one less than a fox will get.

There are still pockets of grouse throughout NJ. We just need more habitat. West Nile just needs to run its course and will in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk