IGNORED

where I woulda aimed tonight...

JHbowhunter

If it were my target buck(s). Still  - felt blessed to have a great hunt and take some pics of this beauty from the stand tonight.  I love his pose, his posture, and this is a classic broadside shot... I have outlined the shoulder/scapula area in yellow and I was 23 feet up but this is still where I would have aimed at 20 yards - the orange dot...     Why do I keep posting shot selection threads?  Because I still think far too many aim too far back, and far too many hit too far forward.  The second diagram shows you just how much "bone free" there is right in that sweet spot aka "the boiler room"

FE58CD6C-A2FB-42D2-8A3E-2A515C679A76.thumb.jpeg.99bb001efbdbfc74b3fbf20c2b998cfd (2)_LI.jpg

deer anatomy.jpg

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I have to agree, i do think something happened to you as well JH!😁

In my opinion, with angle of that buck, your shot is too far forward for an arrow. In addition, if you were using your diagram (which I don’t really believe is totally accurate either, just sayin), your POA on the buck pic is in the center of the upper leg, which according to your diagram is way farther forward then necessary, and leaves you not much room for error. 

Just my observation. 

11 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I have to agree, i do think something happened to you as well JH!😁

In my opinion, with angle of that buck, your shot is too far forward for an arrow. In addition, if you were using your diagram (which I don’t really believe is totally accurate either, just sayin), your POA on the buck pic is in the center of the upper leg, which according to your diagram is way farther forward then necessary, and leaves you not much room for error. 

Just my observation. 

you can see the bones - I respectfully disagree.  I was studying this buck's every move watching his scapula move.  You have up to the yellow/green curved line to avoid bone... That's the boiler room above heart. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

I knew you would!😁

I’m notnsaying you’d hit the scapula, I’m saying if you were off just a little bit you would, and it appears what you outlined is the front of the bone, not the back edge. The back edge is what you have to worry about, not the front. 

May reaL point is not to discuss anatomy (again!🤨😁) but to point out why you would leave yourself so little room for error when you have plenty of room further back from the shoulder bone. Why push the envelope and take a chance, trying to slip an arrow in so close to the scapula, it’s not necessary,  that’s all I’m sayin. 

Can never get enough of the shot selection posts, especially with the bow in my opinion.  I thought I made the "perfect shot" on my doe last week as I had time to be precise and surgical. Nope. Too LOW, going for the heart. 

Recovered the deer in 125 yards, but went further than I would have liked. 

Great post Jack. 

where some think they see bone, it's muscle. One helluva strong ass muscle, but highly penetrable. The little curve on edge of the bone is accurate. 

Disclaimer - that is based on that pose - it changes with orientation of the front leg

I shot a big 10pt once….

7 hours ago, LPJR said:

Can never get enough of the shot selection posts, especially with the bow in my opinion.  I thought I made the "perfect shot" on my doe last week as I had time to be precise and surgical. Nope. Too LOW, going for the heart. 

Recovered the deer in 125 yards, but went further than I would have liked. 

Great post Jack. 

To each his own I guess, you see it like you see it. I personally like to leave myself in the middle of the lungs, it gives me a “no doubt” kill shot every time, shooting at the “edges” leaves too much potential for a bad shot. 

As for the heart shot, that’s another POA that I don’t agree with, for one, the reason I stated above, two, heart shot deer run too far after the hit. They’re dead of course, but that adrenaline rush or whatever it is, makes them run like antelopes for as  far-as they can, and if you’re in a thick area, could be a problem. 

Actual double lung hit deer go down the fastest. 

Good luck out there today all!