IGNORED

Zone 6 & 8 Deer Hunting

WI_Hunter

Hey  - I'm brand new to New Jersey, coming from Wisconsin where I did a lot of bow hunting.  I'm located near the State Park on Lake Hopatcong.

Looking for any tips/suggestions or anyone that has hunted around this area.  I've scoured the topo maps and internet and it seems like these are the best options near me:

Allamuchy Mountain State Park, Berkshire Valley WMA, Rockaway River WMA and Weldon Brook WMA.  It also looks like there are special permits for the Mahlon Dickerson Reservation.

I figure between all these areas I have over 10,000 acres of hunting so looking for some suggestions on narrowing this down, places to avoid, places to put high on the list.  Any other areas I am missing?

Hoping to get out this weekend to do some scouting and maybe some still hunting looking for some spots.

Thanks!

Welcome WI.

You are off to a good start. You will find out shortly that here in NJ hunting land is like gold. We have a lot of hunters in this state and barely enough public land to utilize.

I honestly dont know much about the spots you have listed, as i dont hunt public land much at all. I would have to guess any wooded land in nj will hold Deer. Pick one convenient and give it a go.

My highest reccomendation is to carry your gear in and out or lock it up real good on public land. A few sour apples get extremely protective on their public land spots and will make your life miserable until you give up. That's the horrible truth on nj public land. Sad to say.

I've offered help to others on public forums and been called a "spot burner" by others that hunted there, so now I keep my advise to myself to not piss off someone else in trying to help another. Im sure you understand.

I hope you dont encounter much of that wherever you end up.

good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I should also add...
Dont think nj is just full of scum..
We have way more nice, helpful hunters that would offer you help in many ways. (Finding spots being the least likely lol)
But honestly.. help tracking, dragging, shooting, scouting, etc are all ways guys help each other out here.
Heck.. I bet you can even get a date with some of these guys wives or daughters.. but doubt you will get a hunting location out of them LOLLOL

32 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I should also add...
Dont think nj is just full of scum..
We have way more nice, helpful hunters that would offer you help in many ways. (Finding spots being the least likely lol)
But honestly.. help tracking, dragging, shooting, scouting, etc are all ways guys help each other out here.
Heck.. I bet you can even get a date with some of these guys wives or daughters.. but doubt you will get a hunting location out of them LOLLOL

I will help him Jay. I hunted Allamuchy Mt growing up. Will be my pleasure 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Welcome to the site WI.  

You've done your homework, I have no doubt that you know what you're doing and will find a couple of nice spots.  I would avoid the WMAs that stock pheasant, they tend to get very crowded.  Rockaway and Weldon Brook see less people,  but they are rugged, big woods tracts and you will really need to put your time in because the bear and coyotes outnumber the deer.  But in the end they can provide a quality hunting experience and hold some nice old bucks.  

Best of luck.    

Thanks everyone.  Almost all my Wisconsin hunting was on public land so I'm familiar with some of the frustrations that come with that.  I'm willing to hike in as far as I need to avoid some of this.

Half the battle is meeting good people and being able to share and help....even if you can't get exact spots.....I'm sure I'll need some help carrying my trophy off the top of the mountain this fall.

Welcome to the site, WI_Hunter.  You can look a bit further north and west and find even more large tracts of public lands which aren't too far from your area.  Mahlon Dickerson is a Morris County Park, and they are very stingy with how often they open their parks and for how long when it comes to deer management.  They may have a higher population rate as a result.  I used to live in a community that bordered that park and rode my mountain bike there often back then.  Plenty of deer and bear.  But Morris Parks didn't always have it open each year.  I never hunted it, mind you.  

As others said, find the spots away from the crowds, get in early, and let hikers, dog walkers and other hunters move deer your way.  Good luck and welcome again.  

Welcome. Don't let some of the negative comments discourage you. I've been hunting public land in NJ for 20+ years. There's PLENTY of public land in NJ, and often times, especially during bow season, I will NEVER run into other hunters. I've also had a couple ladder stands on public land for years and years, and have never had an issue. And they aren't locked. Just get in deep where most hunters don't go. A lot of guys will hunt within 200 yards of the parking areas, or streets. Go scout, get in deep, and you'll be fine. Do your homework and you'll find some great public land spots that are wayyyy under utilized by hunters especially during bow season. 

PM me 

Edited by Hunter115522