IGNORED

Bear Shot Placement (Newby)

dlist777

I might give the bear hunt a try this year.  Never hunted bear before.  I've been doing some research on shot placement.  It seems like most say you aim quite a bit further back then on a deer.  See pic below.  What say the experienced bear hunters on this site?  Is this a good aim point on a broadside bear?  They describe it as the middle of the middle.  Half way between the two legs and half way up.  

There are some picks in the hunting digest which seem to contradict this approach....it has you shooting more forward.  Not as far forward as a whitetail, but more forward then this.  

where-to-shoot-a-bear2.jpg

Edited by dlist777

The reason they say that is a bear center punched is better than a shot tight in the crease.

Im shooting a third of the way back off the crease a few inches in front of center

Yellow spot

20180926_114023.png

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

30 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

The reason they say that is a bear center punched is better than a shot tight in the crease.

Im shooting a third of the way back off the crease a few inches in front of center

Yellow spot

20180926_114023.png

This is consistent with what the hunting digest showed.  Thx.  That picture above seems to provide little room for error towards the back.....

31 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Yellow spot

1 minute ago, OMC said:

I would agree with Hammer on a broadside shot. The first diagram would be more for a quartering away shot.   

Just a follow up.  For the muzzleloader portion of the week, do you change your shot placement at all?  Is there any logic to trying to go through the shoulders to aid in recovery?  

Just now, dlist777 said:

Just a follow up.  For the muzzleloader portion of the week, do you change your shot placement at all?  Is there any logic to trying to go through the shoulders to aid in recovery?  

Bears vitals sit back further as you already stated ,

a shot through shoulders doesn’t put it in his vitals .

shoot the same spot with your muzzy as if bow hunting and he won’t go far

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Granted I'm no expert by any means . But when I shot my bear earlier this month , he was slightly quartering away and I put my round directly between your post (dlist) and hammers yellow dot . He went 30 yards and was dead within seconds . Granted that was a .300 wsm but the damage was ridiculous . Both lungs and heart were gone .  Everything I kept reading said middle of the middle which in theory makes sense but all I knew was that I wanted to get the heart so I brought my crosshairs forward a few inches and had confidence in the power behind that round to do the rest .