IGNORED

Allamuchy?

APG

Hey all,

I’m thinking about heading out to Allamuchy around the pond this weekend for some early season stuff. Has anyone else been out there yet this season? How’s it looking?

Also planning on camping out there stealth mode.

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of deer all over this state this year, we have had several mild winters in a row, and looks like a good acorn crop this year as well.   Very wet summer it's GREEN GREEN GREEN everywhere.     Lots of good deer hunting to be had, depending on your standards.    What are you looking for?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 minutes ago, APG said:

And does anyone know if I can bag a buck straight off the bat or if I have to bag a doe first?

You have to shoot a doe first until 9/29 which is regular fall opener.   Please do read the regs before you take the field.   Hunting is serious business- you are talking about taking a living creature, in a crowded state, with tons of hunters afield.  Know you target and beyond, now your regs and beyond.   Good luck

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

And does anyone know if I can bag a buck straight off the bat or if I have to bag a doe first?

Are you serious Clark? Lol. Go to a sports shop or even a Walmart and pick up the free hunting digest. Like JH said know the regulations, and be prepared for everything that follows after the shot. There are some prime areas in allamuchy state park, but it’s vast.

You will work hard for every deer you shoot in Allamuchy Mountain SP, but there are always a few good ones.  A friend of mine has hunted that property nearly 60 years with success, but the spots he has shown me are in no way where you might think to set up.  He never baits and only hunts that SP on travel corridors.  He finds intersecting travel corridors which are observations he's made over a lifetime of hunting the same ground and sets up climbers there.  He has taken some dandies in wide open, maturing forest between thicker habitat types.