IGNORED

Live Streaming Trail Cam: Old Cell Phone

OneShot1Kill

ust a helpful little money saving trick for those of you who have old smart phones sitting in a drawer. What you need: A smart phone you currently use, and old smart phone that's been in a drawer collecting dust and a wifi connection. Simply put, you can use your current smart phone to monitor an area with an old smart phone basically from any where in the world. Download the Alfred app for iOS or Android on BOTH phones. On the phone you will be using as the camera choose " camera " during set up, on your current phone select " viewer". They both require the same google/gmail account to link the system. The whole process takes about 3 minutes. It's best to have your "camera phone" plugged into the charger and into wall outlet essentially "hardwiring" it so your always set with power. Where you put it is only limited by your wificonnection and electrical outlet. I have used a wifi booster and battery pack to have my old phone up to about 350 feet from the house. The app allows and has features for motion detection, live alerts via email or text, cloud storage, live streaming whenever you want to look at feed from where ever you are. It has a two way microphone, night vision can turn light on phone on and also switch between front cam and back cam. All of it is FREE. You can pay a few bucks to upgrade if you wanted but free features work for me. Just figured I'd share. Pretty useful and can link as many phones as you want. I have two old galaxy s7s and 2 old iPhones running on mine. Have fun. 

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

You can also just purchase a camera to send the pics to your phone immediately via AT&T. When I purchased my Bushnell it ran about $500 a few years back. Nowadays I’m sure it’s cheaper. I pay $20/mo for the pics. During hunting season it’s worth itand on the off season I use it as a security camera on my apartment. 

I actually just did this and i was pretty impressed. Good for keeping an eye on the house too. How do you do your battery pack? Just bought a wifi booster that is supposedly good for 600 ft. Do you put your cameras in a weather proof case? I see you can watch up to 4 cameras at once with this and turn them on and off as you want. Pretty cool

On 9/23/2018 at 1:50 PM, OneShot1Kill said:

ust a helpful little money saving trick for those of you who have old smart phones sitting in a drawer. What you need: A smart phone you currently use, and old smart phone that's been in a drawer collecting dust and a wifi connection. Simply put, you can use your current smart phone to monitor an area with an old smart phone basically from any where in the world. Download the Alfred app for iOS or Android on BOTH phones. On the phone you will be using as the camera choose " camera " during set up, on your current phone select " viewer". They both require the same google/gmail account to link the system. The whole process takes about 3 minutes. It's best to have your "camera phone" plugged into the charger and into wall outlet essentially "hardwiring" it so your always set with power. Where you put it is only limited by your wificonnection and electrical outlet. I have used a wifi booster and battery pack to have my old phone up to about 350 feet from the house. The app allows and has features for motion detection, live alerts via email or text, cloud storage, live streaming whenever you want to look at feed from where ever you are. It has a two way microphone, night vision can turn light on phone on and also switch between front cam and back cam. All of it is FREE. You can pay a few bucks to upgrade if you wanted but free features work for me. Just figured I'd share. Pretty useful and can link as many phones as you want. I have two old galaxy s7s and 2 old iPhones running on mine. Have fun. 

Of course you can purchase a cam with a cell plan while this is a cool option the point of this is to cost you a few bucks if anything with an old cell phone laying in drawer. Kb- you know those 2 dollar lure holders you can by at Walmart in fishing section? I had a few of those laying around so I put weather stripping in there to keep cam flush with case, covered it with camo duct tape. Used a soldering iron to punch holes in it just big enough for both front and back cameras and melted a little piece of the puzzle plastic over each hole to make little awnings ha. I have this one set up on a stream crossing and use both front and rear cam. You can use a battery back with a port the size of your charger or run weather proof extension cord. One night I saw a fox pass through and used the microphone to mouse squeak , it was hysterical he was going nuts haha. I also have one on the front of house for when I'm at work, that one is hard wired. The wifi booster gives you about 6000 square feet depending on which one you get and is quite handy. 

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear