IGNORED

9/21/18 - Public Asked to Be Alert for EHD in Deer

NJDFW

It may be in central jersey, found this poor guy the other night with  no apparent injuries,he stood up and he couldnt move his neck or head out of that position and then would lay back down again and flip around . I didnt want to waste a bolt so I called the police and they pumped 4 rounds into him. I told them about EHD and said they would call fish and game.KIMG1135.thumb.jpeg.0c5c4429ffd7a009ff59ba2a26fef6f3.jpeg

I wonder if he just hurt its neck - perhaps sparring with another buck and it injured it? It looks healthy otherwise (I thought with EHD-ravaged deer you can see their ribs because they don't eat and are malnourished, and they shake from fever, and normally at the end they bed down in or near water?)

EHD has hit several times in the past 10 years, especially in Zone 13 near the Great Swamp. The deer apparently die within 48 hours of being bit by the midge. 4 years ago  I had to put down over a dozen bucks, all within the same week, just after the velvet was shed at the end of August. Hundreds ended up in ponds and streams as they go for water after being bit because they are bleeding internally the state biologist told me.  Takes awhile for the herds to bounce back. Would be a shame if this hit again this year.

4 hours ago, bucky said:

It may be in central jersey, found this poor guy the other night with  no apparent injuries,he stood up and he couldnt move his neck or head out of that position and then would lay back down again and flip around . I didnt want to waste a bolt so I called the police and they pumped 4 rounds into him. I told them about EHD and said they would call fish and game.KIMG1135.thumb.jpeg.0c5c4429ffd7a009ff59ba2a26fef6f3.jpeg

LPJR would have gotten the job done in one!!

I haven’t found any dead, nor have I smelt the dreaded stench of death in the air, but I tell you, I’ve been seeing a lot of deer that look undernourished with there ribs showing in zone 12. I don’t believe it’s EHD but with all the available food this time of year, it’s strange to be seeing  skinny Deer with there ribs protruding. Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about. 

I haven’t found any dead, nor have I smelt the dreaded stench of death in the air, but I tell you, I’ve been seeing a lot of deer that look undernourished with there ribs showing in zone 12. I don’t believe it’s EHD but with all the available food this time of year, it’s strange to be seeing  skinny Deer with there ribs protruding. Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about. 
Every spot we have cams has 1 deer with ribs showing. Deer that looked healthy weeks ago are dwindling away. Noticed it in zone 5 and zone 11 the last few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk