IGNORED

Shot a good buck, no pass through, WITH PIC FINALLY

MM22

Here is my take and its based on temp and time of year.  Naturally if it were in the 40s and dropping, no brainer- let it go till morning if you want a safe recovery. 

But hunting in meat spoiling temps carries an extra burden.   

1) No pass through - most likely means no guts, no liver, but doesn't rule out a double lung... (that's potentially good). I assume you are shooting enough KE to pass through any "non-bone area", and you also  heard the crack of hitting bone. 

2) If you got shoulder - here are the possibilities:

a) You got one or more lungs as well, and that deer died within 20 seconds to a minute if 2 lungs, and within 4 hours if a decent one-lung hit 

b) You could have even got heart. I have had many heart shots without pass-through because the opposite, thickest part of opposite leg/shoulder bones stopped      it.  If that is the case, that deer died quick.

c) You were just too far forward, and did not make a lethal hit.  At least not one lethal in the next 12 hours.  

Given all that - the RIGHT call IMHO is to give it 4 hours then go all out. If you jump it, back out unless u feel you can overtake it then stay on it hard, but if you jump it and it bolts let it go and come back in morning.    If that deer is dead already, there is NO WAY that meat will be good by morning, so what do you really have to lose?   Your only chance at a true recovery (edible meat), is to get it before the meat spoils. Recovering bone means very little - but would be noble to put your tag on it none the less. (the honorable thing to do is punch your buck tag even if spoiled). 

I am sure some may differ, but that is based on 34 years bowhunting experience.  Bring help and more flashlights if you can. You simply can't skimp on lighting tonight, stop at Walmart or Home Depot or Lowe's and get the best they have if you don't have good lighting. 

If you are within 30 minutes of Newton, I will come help you. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Here is my take and its based on temp and time of year.  Naturally if it were in the 40s and dropping, no brainer- let it go till morning if you want a safe recovery. 

But hunting in meat spoiling temps carries and extra burden.   

1) No pass through - most likely means no guts, no liver, but doesn't rule out a double lung... (that's potentially good). I assume you are shooting enough KE to pass through any "non-bone area", and you also  heard the crack of hitting bone. 

2) If you got shoulder - here are the possibilities:

a) You got one or more lungs as well, and that deer died within 20 seconds to a minute if 2 lungs, and within 4 hours if a decent one-lung hit 

b) You could have even got heart. I have had many heart shots without pass-through because the opposite, thickest part of opposite leg/shoulder bones stopped      it.  If that is the case, that deer died quick.

c) You were just too far forward, and did not make a lethal hit.  At least not one lethal in the next 12 hours.  

Given all that - the RIGHT call IMHO is to give it 4 hours then go all out. If you jump it, back out unless u feel you can overtake it then stay on it hard, but if you jump it and it bolts let it go and come back in morning.    If that deer is dead already, there is NO WAY that meat will be good by morning, so what do you really have to lose?   Your only chance at a true recovery (edible meat), is to get it before the meat spoils. Recovering bone means very little - but would be noble to put your tag on it none the less. (the honorable thing to do is punch your buck tag even if spoiled). 

I am sure some may differ, but that is based on 34 years bowhunting experience.  Bring help and more flashlights if you can. You simply can't skimp on lighting tonight, stop at Walmart or Home Depot or Lowe's and get the best they have if you don't have good lighting. The 

Pictures or it didn’t happen