IGNORED

Brittany's

I have been looking into getting a Brittany for few months now. Been doing my research etc..a lot of information is telling me that Brittanys don't like to be alone for long periods of time. My main concern is that my wife and I obviously work all week. And we are not home for about 8-10 hours a day. Will this present a problem? Anyone here own or have owned a Brittany. What was your situation and how did it work out for you? Giving the Brittany exercise is not an issue when we are home. We go for walks and also have big back yard and big Field behind us. Plus all the hunting,fishing, camping we do. We found two reputable breeders. AKC registered. One is about 3 hours away in PA and another in Manchester nj. I would also like to get him or her trained for bird hunting. But that can be on another post. Thanks for any info

I had a female Britt for 14 years till recently. Same situation, both of us worked and the dog was alone for approx 8-9 hours. We had no issues other then an occasional hat or shoe chewed up, likely out of boredom, but other then that the dog showed no ill effects. 

Did give her lots of exercise and training when I was home however. 

I owned tree Brittanies at three separate times. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are no more or less problematic than any other puppy. My first was mainly an outside dog but very good with the children. My second was more of a house dog.  My third was totally kept in house.  All were great hunters and not professionally trained. Terrific pets and hunters. Shedding is the worst aspect of owning a Brit. 

Edited by archer36

Our Springers went through the same working schedule as you. When they were real young I would drive home during lunch hour and let the puppy out. I was close to home, lucky.  My suggestion is maybe you can get a dog friendly neighbor to let the puppy out the first few months. 8 hours is a long time in a crate, but they can do it. 

We have always been Brittany people.  Our current dog is 12.  Both of us work all day and the dogs were always fine.  Our first had an insulated dog crate outside in a kennel during the day and was home inside as soon as one of us arrived back home.  But that was only half his life, and the rest he was an inside dog.  Neither he nor our current Britt ever caused us problems in any way related to boredom.  They sleep most of the day and wait to play when people are home.  

Pups are a bit more needy of course, and the hours mentioned may be a bit too long. What I did was have the crate within a 6’ diameter coral. One of those fold out type metal ones. This way the dog still had the crate, but also had some room to walk and stretch etc. I would leave water bowl within the coral, and even if the dog had an emergency they could go within the coral and not the crate, which they really don’t want to do anyway. 

1 hour ago, Kype said:

Thanks guys. Glad to hear not being home for about 8 hours won't be an issue. I have 2 year old daughter as well. I also hear Brittanys are great with kids.  Thanks again

A Britt pup and a little girl at home …. life doesn't get much better than that! :up:

All of my dogs have adjusted to schedules such as yours. It's their nature.

Best wishes to you guys.

Manchester NJ breeder is most likely Marjo's...excellent choice, just had a litter of puppies and probably all spoken for

If the breeder in PA is Wild Mountain Brittanies in Graysville, PA (about an hour south of Pittsburg)...another great choice.  My boy is from them and he is awesome

I have 2 now, and 2 previously since 1986.  The first and second were chewers - remote controls, kids backpacks, and a nice long wool coat that I got for my wife on xmas - she put it over the dining room chair after opening it, within an hour he chewed the sleeve.  The one even got into a kitchen cabinet and had a blast with a bag of flower, the joys of owning dogs.  We still crate the younger one while we are out but the older one hasn't been in a crate for a few years, only in my truck while traveling.  They are great with kids, my son at one point was pulling on his ears while he was eating, he would just stop eating and give him a look like "really, do you have to do that now".  My wife will put a piece of meat on her finger and both will use their lips to get it off, very gentle dogs.  They do get riled up when the door bell rings or they see someone out the window - which is good.  Although my yard does look like my kids used to ride a dirt bike in a big circle around the house, hey its only dirt.  They both hunt great and honoring each other now, that did take a few years.  During the season its a great excuse to go for birds, I have to give them exercise!  

I have a Brittany pup from Marjo's kennel he is 15 months old now and have had no problem with leaving him at home while I work. The pup is kennel trained and stays in the kennel while I'm at work and have not had a problem while leaving home for 8-10 hrs a day. If I have to plow snow my boss let's me bring him to work as I might not be home for up to 24hours and I kennel him in the office and the secretaries let him out and walk him. Britts are great dogs as this is my third I've had. 20180730_201440.jpeg20180729_195338.jpeg20180622_151614.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

I've always loved Brittanies and have owned 5 in my lifetime, all females and they were all wonderful with children and strangers. My first was strictly an outside dog and the others were with me all day as business companions. Next to last came from a best friend of Marjo's, and shared their breeding. When I gave Field Trialing a shot, I was friends with the owners of Marjo's (the parents of current owner) and they were wonderful people and bred wonderful dogs. If I was to get another American Brittany, I would probably go to them. I couldn't leave well enough along, and had to try a male and this time a Epagnuel Breton (French Brittany). He is extremely smart, but energy wise at 10 months, off the chart. I hope to hunt him this fall ( will probably have someone else do gun work) , but I'm sure I'll just be working on handling. 

I've had three Brittanies with the last one mostly inside and had her as a pup when the kids where 2 1/2 & 6 1/2.  She lived over 16 years and had a split personality.  Great dog in the house with the family and a businesswomen in the field.   I couldn't have asked for a better dog.  Listened well in the field.  I got her from a breeder way down south Jersey.  He also trained her for 3 months.  Just checked with him a month ago and boy have the prices rocketed.

I'm retired and presently own three Brittney's. Sonny 6 1/2 months, Rooster 13 months and Trouble 5 months. It's true Britt's are needy and don't like to be left home for long periods of time.  I would not recommend leaving a 8 to 10 week pup alone, crated for 8 to 10 hours a day. This can cause problems including anxiety separation. If you would like to discuss this further feel free to PM me.

IMG_3672.PNG

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3781.PNG