IGNORED

Help with old boat wax/compound

SoloFilmer

I picked up an 87 Robalo 1800 with t top. The boat was is amazing shape for how old it is and runs great. I have been having a problem with the inside fiberglass and top of the hull staining very easily. The boat hasn't been ran or properly maintained as far as waxing in about 5 years he said. Anyone know of a good cleaner and wax some the stains will run off instead of sticking so easily. 

My Son was National Sales rep. for Interlux in Union Yacht Finishes. I have a lot of stuff sitting in my cellar that I once posted for free on here.  Have 2 Cans of Stain Remover still.  The results all depend on how oxidized the Gel Coat and porous the fiberglass is. worst case is you can remove the stains but no waxing will bring back any shine.  there are 3 steps to restore the Gel Coat Cleaning -  Compounding & Polishing with a Buffer. Not in the Sun.  The stain remover is yours picked up freehold area.  If there is a Marina near you such as West or Private stop in and get some advise Unseen no one can tell you what to do. And as Far as Wax car wax will be lost within an hour on the water Many don't understand Fiber Glass absorbs water even threw the Gel Coat.  Your 18 ft can add 300 lbs of water WT. sitting in the mooring and take all water to Dry out before bottom coat.   There are retailers who do it  18ft could go $300 good Luck.  There also is Paint but easy to FU. hard to do the right way.

Interlux YMA011.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

1 minute ago, SoloFilmer said:

Im down in southern NJ but thank you for the advise brown and buck I will check it out I appreciate it. I may take the boat to a fiberglass place and see what they say about it.

Even check with a Local Auto Body Shop or Detail Shop.  a lot of full-service carwashes have detailing also. I have a guy who details my Cars each year that come to my House. Good Luck.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif