IGNORED

Less Pictures The Last Few Weeks?

BHC

I experienced this every year when I had cameras over bait. As the season approached I had less and less deer on my cam and by the times the season started almost all mature deer were gone. Do they have the calendar and know when the seasons starts?  Who knows why it happens but I had a theory. As I made more and  more trips to check  the camera, (I was addicted to it), I pushed the mature deer out. So I stopped with endless trips and the very first year I did it I had a major improvement in the number of mature deer in September.  

it's raining acorns by me, also mineral sites have pretty much served their purpose they always slow down on the minerals as most antler development is about done by now. A lot of corn fields are prime by now - deer get in there and don't leave, the corn is ripe and mature.  

And yes -we hunters are often to blame for shifts in patterns, as we start patterning them, infusing massive bait piles all throughout the state, they also start patterning us. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

The farmer across from me is killing deer every night

The Farmer's Brother told me a 9 pt was shot a few nights ago. He said "why didn't you let the Buck go for the hunters?". The reply was, "it was eating my peaches". 

I have acorns  falling by my spot and  a stream.  Set up along there trails to the stream.  Actually have had more deer on cam in the last 2 weeks.  I need to go back and check now that I put food out this past Sunday.  Also there is 3 trees blocking  the entrance to hike in from and other trees down with overgrowth.  also may be deterring other hunters n  keeping the pressure down but not me. I haven’t seen signs of anyone else yet, but I’m sure I will.

I have an unusal experience. Property owner cut down a truckload worth of trees; several in front of my tree stand.  My trail camera shows the work crew and tractors/logging equipment every morning for a few days. Like clockwork, every evening on the same day I have deer on camera.  Would have thought my site was ruined but not so... go figure....

I would have to say, this is oddest summer for pics of bucks. I had best mineral action I ever seen April / May / to early June with over a dozen bucks several quite mature.  One by one all the bucks have vanished.  For past 15 years, I have held nice, mature bachelor groups all summer long and watched them grow.   This was worst mid June through August period I have ever recorded. Not a single mature buck, just a few dinks and one with nut cancer. I am not doing anything different. Somebody must have one helluva a sweet food plot nearby.   Not gonna panic, the pre-rut through post-rut normalizes everything, but it is nice to see quality bucks in the summer and see them blossom, I just didn't get to experience that this summer for the first time since I have lived in z5...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….