IGNORED

Fall food plot preps

Yeah Tom that's looks like the plan with some oats also.  Did soil tests and 2 of the 4 plots the PH is under 6 so want to get lime down this fall also .  I was amazed you were able to get into your fields. I think we got close to 3 inches of rain yesterday .  

5 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

My seeds been down for 2 weeks .. nothing sprouting with all this rain and warm temps I wonder what went wrong.
My buddy sent me a pic of his brassicas in NY 2 weeks after planting and they are already several inches tall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Give them a little more time. Once they sprout they go fast. 

The only way they are not coming up is if you planted them too deep. 

www.liftxrentals.com

9 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Yeah Tom that's looks like the plan with some oats also.  Did soil tests and 2 of the 4 plots the PH is under 6 so want to get lime down this fall also .  I was amazed you were able to get into your fields. I think we got close to 3 inches of rain yesterday .  

Lime will do little for you this year. If you can get in there to spray do it.  Chance of rain pretty much all week. 

Perfect for new seed. Lime will take months to see an improvement. Rye will grow on wet concrete. 

I was going to wait until 1st or 2nd week of Sept for the clover, but I decided with all the rain in the forecast to put it down. 

If you want a nice clean field next spring, rye is your crop. 

You could still get some brassicas down but window is closing fast. 

www.liftxrentals.com

5 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Lime will do little for you this year. If you can get in there to spray do it.  Chance of rain pretty much all week. 

Perfect for new seed. Lime will take months to see an improvement. Rye will grow on wet concrete. 

I was going to wait until 1st or 2nd week of Sept for the clover, but I decided with all the rain in the forecast to put it down. 

If you want a nice clean field next spring, rye is your crop. 

You could still get some brassicas down but window is closing fast. 

Yes , I know  it won't do much this year but it needs to be done .  I will be looking for any window to get in there and spray but I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature .  Thanks for your input Tom , much appreciated .

Sprayed this 2 acre parcel with Farmworks Glyphosate from Tractor Supply on May 26th

IMG_5838.thumb.JPG.503240f3e93776ef8cd76a2eac51bcb0.JPG

two days later, may 28th, I thoroughly Rototilled the patch and let it breath for a short periodIMG_5843.thumb.JPG.2d829f05a95aff25578bf6bf5a8c2b26.JPG

returned on July 2nd to find the grounds essentially as if left it, with no new growth and ready to grow.  I gave the soil one more tilling and put down 20 lbs of Deer Max and prayed for some rain! 😜👍

Returned 2 weeks later, on July 17th, to find a nice bit of growth with virtually no rain stimulating things.

IMG_6193.thumb.JPG.34aaf22e315d43f5d2098d982fcfd6c7.JPG

Nearly immediately after I headed home, the skies fell and delivered a lot of sorely needed water and things quickly exploded.  This was taken a week later, July 13th.IMG_6291.thumb.JPG.95e6197ae44040ff1b432a26e866bf1c.JPG

i was most recently up for the weekend of august 5th and this is what things were looking like.  Can't wait to get up in the next week or two.  Going to be a number crop for sure!!!

IMG_6362.thumb.PNG.f909bed4546cc68efe05c8c2cffaf5f5.PNG

IMG_6289.JPG

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable

Looks great^

If you can, till up another strip and plant it with a cereal grain such as winter rye. 

If you have never planted brassicas before, sometimes it takes awhile for deer to aquire a taste for them. Especially turnips. The deer around me started hitting the big leafy tops. Took them 2 seasons to eat the turnips. Some wont touch them at all. Another thing I like to plant with the deer max and ultra max is radishes. The deer love the tops. The radishes are great for the soil too as they have a deep tap root and huge tuber, whats not eaten decays into the soil. The huge hole left behind will fill with water and freeze. The expansion and contraction helps bust up the soil. 

Mix some clover in with the rye and the deer will hammer it early spring as it will be the 1st green around. 

Rye will give you a weed free plot next year

Just picked up 1000 lbs of rye tonight

20180813_195722.thumb.jpg.744014758878fda763ba88d725b6eaa5.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Wow, Tom, thanks much for the guidance.

while this is the first time I've planted this particular plot,  I have previously planted another piece a short was away. IMG_2879.thumb.JPG.4dc4317f150e4532e3443947dfa85ad1.JPGIMG_2885.thumb.JPG.6d37117e5980a36a0c365da78f099469.JPGIMG_2887.thumb.JPG.8264290a597e0e2f7c3e296fcc2cadeb.JPG

I put a dual-perimeter electric fence up to initially keep the deer out because the plot was a small one (.4 acre).  I took the fence down a week before gun season and was amazed that all the greenery was completely grazed away by the following weekend.  The deer then proceeded to tear up the ground to get to the goodies.  I'm hopeful that the bigger plot, which is not fenced, will enable them to get an earlier taste that they just can't stay away from.

here are a couple of other, smaller plots I've got going with the same Deer Max planting.

IMG_5851.thumb.JPG.878d372b5f7d87bb53e51805009ce6dc.JPGIMG_5853.thumb.JPG.1bbf9c83ecdafc14fefdc26932038ffb.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable