IGNORED

Personal best fluke today - thanks hammer

JHbowhunter

How do you "swim" the bait compared to jigging the bait?
I saw on Fish Mongers Facebook page they caught a 12 LBer the other day, and a 9 LBer a few days before.

See hammers post above, kinda hard to explain exactly but imagine your jig hovering inches from the bottom and subtle up and down motion(only inches that is) with sudden pulses. Not pick and drop. Best way to learn is in super clear water where you can watch the motion. When you get it right you’ll think to yourself “ i would eat that” LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

3 hours ago, DBuck said:

How do you "swim" the bait compared to jigging the bait?

I saw on Fish Mongers Facebook page they caught a 12 LBer the other day, and a 9 LBer a few days before.

for sure some nice fish being caught. Jerry is one of if not the best in the business.

works hard and has good fisherman on his boat daily , that work hard at catching big fluke.

swimming the bait is just that , swimming in a natural motion, dropping back at different times to make the bait look real.

Bait that just falls like a stone IMO doesn't get half as many bites.

even when I drop back a jig I keep good contact with it trying to get it to flutter down . not nose dive.

It keeps the hook in the right position for a hook set as well as allow you to feel even the slightest pick up.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

If you can’t swim a bucktail stay the hell out of the sticky shit! It’ll consume your inner being....lol

some of my most memorable strikes came after an entire day of losing bucktail/teaser combos, I got frustrated  and only fished a bucktail. BAMMMM sometimes if you give a fluke too many choices you’ll confuse the poor bastards. One 

Glad all the methods of Catching For the Northern Guys Fluke & Southern Guys Flounder has been discussed. IMO there is no way to predict what a fish will bite on any particular day.  The Methods over the Years have all changed but the Fish remains the Same. As far a Fluke Catching goes my best Catches have been in some unlikely conditions and Areas. From the Surf to Offshore - Rocky to Smooth bottoms, Low High Middle Moving Still, Power Drifting to Ruff Fast drifting, Cloudy Sunny Raining.  Bait - Jigs - Combos,  BIG BAITS of 10" 2" wide Belly or Squid- Single Killey to Spearing Squid combo- Snapper Blues- Mullet-Bergals - Calico crabs. Hopkins.                             In the end, it is Opportunity, Luck, If your bait passes a Hungry Fish it will take anything. Never heard of one saying gee that doesn't look right I can see the Hook Or Line  I will wait for a better-looking bait. It is garbing it before the next Guy.  And if all this does not Float your boat Go to Bass Pro - Cabelas or any local bait shop they have Millions of lure to catch Fisherman _ Fish is another Story.  In ending That is one hell of a Fluke for today's standards.   Oh and ever see when guys are lined up either at the Rails on Head boat of Shore Line using the same bait there are always those who just don't catch. While a few are Slaughtering them.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

6 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Glad all the methods of Catching For the Northern Guys Fluke & Southern Guys Flounder has been discussed. IMO there is no way to predict what a fish will bite on any particular day.  The Methods over the Years have all changed but the Fish remains the Same. As far a Fluke Catching goes my best Catches have been in some unlikely conditions and Areas. From the Surf to Offshore - Rocky to Smooth bottoms, Low High Middle Moving Still, Power Drifting to Ruff Fast drifting, Cloudy Sunny Raining.  Bait - Jigs - Combos,  BIG BAITS of 10" 2" wide Belly or Squid- Single Killey to Spearing Squid combo- Snapper Blues- Mullet-Bergals - Calico crabs. Hopkins.                             In the end, it is Opportunity, Luck, If your bait passes a Hungry Fish it will take anything. Never heard of one saying gee that doesn't look right I can see the Hook Or Line  I will wait for a better-looking bait. It is garbing it before the next Guy.  And if all this does not Float your boat Go to Bass Pro - Cabelas or any local bait shop they have Millions of lure to catch Fisherman _ Fish is another Story.  In ending That is one hell of a Fluke for today's standards.   Oh and ever see when guys are lined up either at the Rails on Head boat of Shore Line using the same bait there are always those who just don't catch. While a few are Slaughtering them.  

That's the difference between a bait fisherman and a bucktailer.

Bait fisherman catch fluke when the fish wants to eat their given bait.

Bucktail fisherman are able to get fish to eat even when they don't want to .

Drawing impulse strikes that bait just doesn't get.

and as far as what they want to eat, knowing which body of fish your on and what the have been feeding on goes a long ways in the choice of what style gulp and bucktail that will work most effectively .

There is a reason 10% of the fisherman catch most of the fish while others just stand at the rail and watch 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Good point Dan, i fish the flats a lot early on and when i am in any grass my shrimp flies will outfish live bait hands down. My fishing partner was in disbelief watching me constantly hook up while his host of killies spearing and fluke belly were doing mediocre. What really gets me is the guys that pick up and head in 20 minites before a tide change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

I did well bait fishing on my first fluke trip in the bay. My second fluke trip after learning what not to do while jigging. Jigs tipped with spearing. Only 5 of about 20 or so that I caught were keepers, but I'd be hard pressed to have another day like this.  8lb and 11.5lb had me eating good for awhile. Experience is your best teacher as long as you are with an experienced teacher.

Fluke.jpg