IGNORED

New found friend

rgw

Last night I saw this fellow sleeping on porch, thought it was strange but didn't think much of it. This morning I went to chicken run and there he was again, as I walked up to him he flew across the field then came right back to me. As he was walking at my feet I noticed a band. I reached for him and he let me pick it up. Seems to be a homing pigeon

KIMG0662.JPG

KIMG0663.JPG

I had one show up at my house few years back. I tracked the numbers on the band to a club in Maine. I called the guy and he asked me to feed him rice as this somehow takes car of any digestive problems the bird may have. The bird was released in North Carolina in some kind of race. After a week he took of and the guy called me a week latter to tell me he made it.

Owner called back, he said it's a baby, the day it learned to fly it took off and never came back, he is sending me a box to ship it back to him. Bird came from 5 miles east of  Kennedy airport. Guy can't believe a young bird made it this far

I found one years ago and researched the band. I don't recall the state it was from, but I was able to contact the owner. He told me it was in a race and a storm hit and many birds did not return. He asked me to feed it and then release after it looked strong and healthy. I did as instructed, but the bird would not leave (must have been a Dem) :rofl:. My wife named it Snow Dot or something and after a about a week we found a pile of Snow Dot feathers under our bird feeder. 

5 hours ago, rgw said:

Owner called back, he said it's a baby, the day it learned to fly it took off and never came back, he is sending me a box to ship it back to him. Bird came from 5 miles east of  Kennedy airport. Guy can't believe a young bird made it this far

That’s cool!! 

Nice looking pigeon. There used to be a few people here into pigeons and racing. Don't see the domestic flocks doing the circles around town anymore. Like everything else the old timers die out and the young don't take up the practice. The bird does get a bad rap as flying rats. We shot our share when we were kids. Their numbers have been in serious decline for quite some time thanks to the abundance of raptors out there.