IGNORED

Tree Climbing: Safety Lifelines

BowhunterNJ

I hunt mostly in a climber & I once lost my platform. it was not easy to get it back even though it was tethered to the seat. I swapped my hUal string out for a heavy camo rope I could climb down to self rescue if I ever lost my platform. Never climb without a tether...u r screwed if u lose platform

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a fall restraint system for the last 4 years ever since I took a "Competent Person in Fall Protection" Seminar given by Ellis Fall Safety Solutions, LLC. The amount of force of a man hitting the bround from 15'ft is incredible and that force only increases with every foot of height you go up. The last few years, I have personally seen an increase in treestand falls and these accidents are 100% preventable. So many people have been injured and those injuries will last a lifetime. This weekend Dick's had a sale on Lifelines and I bought one for $29.99, isn't that a small price to pay to be able to walk, play outside with your children, not endure a life of pain, be able to dance at your daughter's wedding????? All my set ups have either a lifeline or a fall arrest system, I encourage my partners to do the same! No one is immune to a treestand accident, I've seen the macho guys who won't wear one or don't need one, Gravity does not discriminate, it don't care how tough you are or how cool you are when there's nothing holding you up between the height you are at and the ground, you're going down! When you hit you will be in the biggest pain in your life, or maybe you won't feel anything at all, cause you will be paralyzed or dead. IS IT WORTH IT????

2 more hunters from Hunterdon County hit the ground this weekend and had to be air lifted out. For a sport we enjoy is it worth it to be injured for life or killed! Don't be stupid, get yourself tethered from the ground to the stand and back to the ground.

I'm very passionate about this, I say my prayers for all the hunters in the woods everytime I enter the woods to be safe.

Wear your harness, climb tethered and God bless

And while were talking about tree safety, don't forget to check those screw in steps for the ones that use them.  I had a friend a couple years ago had one pull out while climbing and ripped him up pretty bad when he struck some of the others on the way down. A lot of guys leave them in season after season and never check them until its too late

Edited by Silver Belly62

Keep in mind, that when using a 'lifeline' (according to NFPA  at least) that once it performs a life saving act, as in, stops a fall or absorbed shock, it's no longer considered life saving service rope, it can only be utility rope because the center core strands designed stretch or uncoil to absorb shock are now stretched or uncoiled. I'm sure it will still perform famously after only one act or maybe two but, keep that in mind with older ropes, they may just have ONE good fall in them....check with the rope manufacturer to be sure. 

• 9 months later...

Great information ! No matter which way you go , point is wear a safety harness , also no matter what type of stand your hunting out of wear the harness , I have 20' ladders , too think shit doesn't happen , your under estimating your chances of taking a header out of any stand , be safe , good luck , you definitely owe it too the people who care a lot about you !

For climbers, a Q safe has replaced the rope style tree strap for me. Night and day difference IMO. Also, a good set(not the PLASTIC ones that come with lone wolf) of stabilizer straps are priceless. They work as your tether and once at your destination you cinch them down. You would be amazed at how rock solid(or even more) your climber feels when you add them.

And while were talking about tree safety, don't forget to check those screw in steps for the ones that use them.  I had a friend a couple years ago had one pull out while climbing and ripped him up pretty bad when he struck some of the others on the way down. A lot of guys leave them in season after season and never check them until its too late

I got rid of all my screw-in steps. They're just daggers waitin to stick you in a slip or fall. Now only use sticks or ladder steps on ALL my hang on stands.

• 1 year later...