IGNORED

Tree Climbing: Safety Lifelines

BowhunterNJ

• 6 months later...

I recently put up 20' climbing sticks and a hang on while wearing my HSS system strapped to the tree as well as the belt attached near the waist while putting them up.  I now need to add a life line and I'll be all set.  

Edited by Bucksnbows

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I didnt find the time to make my own but picked one up from xstand for roughly 25 bucks. Great product and a small price to pay for your safety and your families well being. They also make a 45' one for guys that are setup in massive trees or like to get up a good ways off the ground.

Love the idea of using a prusik hitch or the klemheist. 2 considerations though. The cord MUST be a smaller diameter than the mainline or it will not catch properly. The other consideration would be if you do fall hard it may be very difficult to get the knot to release.

Another thing would be if you fell from a climber, how would you either get back into the stand or get to the ground? If you use a climber consider using the same cord that you would tie the prusik knot from and creating a load release hitch and attaching your self to the strap around the tree with that. For just a few bucks (cord and 2 carabiners) you can effortlessly lower your self to the ground in the event of an accident. Waiting for help may prove damaging as hanging from a harness can do serious damage in just a half hour or so. If anyone needs help with these knots please feel free to pm me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bubblehead

Love the idea of using a prusik hitch or the klemheist. 2 considerations though. The cord MUST be a smaller diameter than the mainline or it will not catch properly. The other consideration would be if you do fall hard it may be very difficult to get the knot to release.

Another thing would be if you fell from a climber, how would you either get back into the stand or get to the ground? If you use a climber consider using the same cord that you would tie the prusik knot from and creating a load release hitch and attaching your self to the strap around the tree with that. For just a few bucks (cord and 2 carabiners) you can effortlessly lower your self to the ground in the event of an accident. Waiting for help may prove damaging as hanging from a harness can do serious damage in just a half hour or so. If anyone needs help with these knots please feel free to pm me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yep definitely.  The line I used was 1/2" (12.7mm) versus the 8mm line for the Klemheist.

The Klemheist doesn't bind even with a lot of pressure.

Just from researching years ago and talking on arborist sites.  I don't recall the specific reasons why anymore, but there was definitely a reason I chose it over the prussik.  Usage wise, I do like that it's easy to slide upward and despite being easy to slide it cinches very quickly and tightly when downward pressure is applied.  The prussik always seems to be too tight and harder to slide, if you loosened it, it seemed to want to slide downward a bit too much and take outward pressure to get a "grab".  Or maybe it's when it's too tight it does that...slides instead of grabbing.

• 1 month later...