IGNORED

Are sea anchors popular up here?

outdoorslife

Between Jacks Abaco thread and Mzw's thread on fluke jigs, it led me to reflecting on my past and missing my time on the water I used to get. 

Do boats use sea anchors up here for drifts? Just curious (I am fishing deprived anymore and need to at the very least keep it fresh in my mind  and talk about it - F!@$%)

I dont have much nearshore and offshore time under my belt here up north but have done a ton of deep water snapper and grouper fishing and commonly used 12-16 oz jigs with a double/triple hooked ballyhoo,  generally fishing in 120'- 600'. Many times I would opt out for a giant diamond jig, especially if the flow was heavier than normal. We used sea anchors regularly depending on what we were fishing. They really helped a TON for slowing us down on isolated structure in heavy seas, fishing a certain part of a wreck or hump/offshore seamount. If we werent power drifting, they would essentially be the key piece of equipment for those little out the way/overlooked small pieces of live bottom. Catching fish was the easy part, setting up and presentation was key. When you do it right, it takes longer for the bait to hit bottom than it does to get the bite/hooked up.

Edit: Regardless of them being popular or not for fishing up here, they are invaluable if you were to lose power in heavy seas. 

Edited by outdoorslife

I have fished with two members here where I have seen them utilize while fluking to provide better drift conditions on their boat.   You are correct about it being an invaluable piece of safety equipment as well. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Power Drifting and Sea Anchors are Hit and Miss The latter not having the right size for Boat and Current Conditions sucks. I Have Dragged from a 5 gal. bucket to anchor slipping but rather search for better conditions when possible. or change tactics.  

A Sea Anchor is for Storms a Drift Sock is for Fishing  don't confuse the 2 

01341_f.jpg

81rKghlNGcL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

1 hour ago, 1957Buck said:

Power Drifting and Sea Anchors are Hit and Miss The latter not having the right size for Boat and Current Conditions sucks. I Have Dragged from a 5 gal. bucket to anchor slipping but rather search for better conditions when possible. or change tactics.  

A Sea Anchor is for Storms a Drift Sock is for Fishing  don't confuse the 2 

01341_f.jpg

81rKghlNGcL._SL1500_.jpg

Down there it wasnt really hit or miss unless we had a 30 mph east/ne wind and the gulf stream creeping in further than usual provoking some nasty conditions and everything stacking up along the reef edge. The further you went (if you could get over the edge) where the bottom flattens out you'd still end up in 10-12 swell and higher further into the flow and around the seamounts but, more spread out and not stacked or crossing as severely. Otherwise there was always a way between the two tactics. 

I understand different strokes for different folks(and boats) but what conditions do you guys up here fish in? When do the bottom fisherman call it quits? I guess Im speaking more towards charter guys but curious about the rec guys too. Just shooting the shit and wondering. If we had a willing paying customer, we went pretty much regardless. There were always exceptions of course and some days I didnt think we were coming back. We had some vikings fish with us. Good times! Life changes (for the better!) but I really do miss it.

Im going to need to break down and get on a tuna boat or something. I dk how much longer I can be deprived of this LOL!

Edited by outdoorslife

In my Younger days Done my Share of Mating on a few charter boats out of Clarks landing and Christal point.  And many more Fun Trips on the same Boats. from Bottom Fishing - Wreck Fishing to Offshore Canyons. From Anchoring to Drifting and Tying up to Lobster pot Buoys off Shore. In Flat Seas to being Caught in 12 - 15 ft seas not by Choice.  Fished Rain Snow - wind  Dead Calm and Not Once used a Sea Or Sock Anchor. Did a lot of Power Drifting - Trolling.  Always Adapted adjusted Moved around.  If you do decide to Charter don't go with a HOBBY Charter Boat CAPT> Look for one who belongs to a Charter Association in That Area.  Ports only matter when Travel to the grounds being fished matter.  Meaning a Boat out of Manasquan Traveling up to the hook or Cape May.  Go to The Boat Watch and Talk to the Guys coming off. look at the Boat and Gear.  Want Company there are a few Head boats and one That specializes in offshore even overnight trips in Point Pleasant Nj.   AS far as what Boat and Conditions I now Fish it Is Called BEACH - Shore- Terra Firma.  Dead sticking in a Nice comfortable Chair under an Umbrella where I can come and go as I please  Notice I Said Fish Not Catch.  Good Luck do it while you Can empty that Bucket List and than Refill it.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Thanks for the comments guys. Just looking to shoot the shit and I started wondering if boats used them up here . It doesnt surprise me. They were instrumental for me and many times I dont know how Id fish certain drifts without...outside of power drifting but I use that more for a spot on a spot rather than an area - in general. 

Speaking of...is that popular up here as well? Pinpointing your stern on the bow of a wreck or certain side of a lump or ridge? We used to be able to tell where the cudas were on a wreck on a given day and adjust from there making sure our baits reached the amberjack or grouper.