IGNORED

Muzzleloader Questions

Hawkeye57

Just picked up a CVA Accura LR with Leupold scope. I know nothing about muzzleloaders but have a hunt in October. I plan on starting to sight in/test loads/practice in the coming weeks. Have Blackhorn 209 loose powder, havent picked Sabot yet. Had a couple questions for any veteran inline muzzleloader shooters:

Do you sight in before testing loads or just test loads off of group size then zero that bullet/powder combo?

Do you clean breach in between shots? I plan on cleaning barrel after each shot.

Do you start at 80 grains and go up or max grains and go down?

Do you unload after each night so that fresh powder is in gun for each days hunt?

I'm very confident in my shooting and looking forward to the challenge of tight MOA out to 200. Hopefully extensive testing will get me there. 

Any other Muzzleloader advice is welcome!

Thanks

Hawkeye, if you are going to use BH 209 in the CVA Accura make sure that it has the breech plug specifically made for shooting BH 209. Check your owner's manual or call CVA and they'll let you know. I believe CVA sells the BH breech for about $35-40. I have an Accura and it is extremely accurate with the right load. I shoot T7 powder (100 grs.),  Harvester Scorpion PT Gold bullet (260 grs.), Harvester Crush Rib sabot, and  T7 209 primer. I've tried other bullet/sabot/powder combinations but this one has worked for me the best. This coming Fall I plan on trying the BH breech plug in combo with BH 209 powder. Good luck.

Edited by HeadedWest1

Have a local shop bore sight it for you. It'll save some time, money ,and possible aggravation. Start with 80 grains. 25 yards. 3 shots. If bore sighted correctly they will be low. As long as group is consistent move to 50 yards. Clean and let barrel cool in between the 3 shots. Do this at 50, 75, 100.  Fatther if you plan on shooting farther.  

I hunt thick stuff so shots are generally under 75 yards. Average is 40-45. Mine is sighted in for 75. 

Good luck 

Nick

For me, I would start at 80 grains. Get a group and adjust scope to get on paper. From there I would go up 10 grains at a time swabbing between each shot and cleaning the breech after each 3 shot group till the group gets nice and tight then gets bigger and then drop 5 grains and see how that shot group performs, and drop again if you have to.

Just as with a rifle, theres a sweet spot somewhere with your powder charge/sabot combo.  

I use thompson centers 5 grain adjustable measure.  This One

Yes BH209 is clean burning and people will say you don't need to swab between shots. Thats your decision. Clean barrels shoot differently from dirty and there will be build up from your 209 primer through the nipple. I use a drill bit by hand to clean out the nipple. I always,, always pull my charge at the end of the night, clean barrel/breech fire new clearing primer and reload in the am for each hunt. Why chance the buck of a lifetime because of laziness. 

Edited by Greg

I have an accura mr and use 3 white hots and harvester sabots. I clean the breech plug and apply light grease every 3 shots. I do not clean after each shot, i get 3 in before swabbing with wet patches then dry and it shoots as good as i could ask. I touch all 3 at 100 with ease. 

I sighted in with sst but wasnt gettin good groups so i moved to the harvester, did some fine tuning and thats it. I do not remove the pellets and sabot every night just remove primer.

I do not recommend powerbelt bullets. They are insanely accurate,  but do not perform (expand). I strongly recommend the barnes spit fire tez or tmz. They perform like no other. I would shoot 290 grain if all shots are inside 100 yds or 250 grain for shoots farther. Blackhorn 209 for sure.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/muzzleloaders/spit-fire-t-ez/

BTW...I killed many w powerbelts. They just do not work like a barnes. The powerbelt is great on paper. Sadly, small hole in & out. When I switched to Barnes, there was no comparison. They don't take a step after being hit w Barnes. The blood trails are not great w powerbelts either. 

4 hours ago, Greg said:

For me, I would start at 80 grains. Get a group and adjust scope to get on paper. From there I would go up 10 grains at a time swabbing between each shot and cleaning the breech after each 3 shot group till the group gets nice and tight then gets bigger and then drop 5 grains and see how that shot group performs, and drop again if you have to.

Just as with a rifle, theres a sweet spot somewhere with your powder charge/sabot combo.  

I use thompson centers 5 grain adjustable measure.  This One

Yes BH209 is clean burning and people will say you don't need to swab between shots. Thats your decision. Clean barrels shoot differently from dirty and there will be build up from your 209 primer through the nipple. I use a drill bit by hand to clean out the nipple. I always,, always pull my charge at the end of the night, clean barrel/breech fire new clearing primer and reload in the am for each hunt. Why chance the buck of a lifetime because of laziness. 

I am tired just reading this. I hunt with one because we have a season for it but they a major pain:happywave:

I have a TC inline, I clean after 3 shots and by then I am usually sighted. The breach plug on my gun has to be loosen after two shots or then there is almost no way to take it out.

With a  muzzleloader I always use a method of sighting which requires no more than two shots to get in the center of target. You need to do it from a solid sled. After first shot you move your crosshairs back to the where you were aiming by repositioning the gun. Then without touching your gun I walk the crosshairs to where the first shot hit, by adjusting vertical and horizontal controls on the scope. next shot is always exactly where it should be. For me there is too much work with muzzy to d it any other way.

Edited by Lunatic