IGNORED

Improve Your Savage 220.......

BHC

Ummmm I say BS......They offer improvements with a stock 870, and know of a person who had it done, there wasn't any improvement in accuracy. At the time I was using my 1187 12ga, his 870 rifled barrel is the same as my 1187, we both used at the time Lightfields EXP, my stock 1187 out shot his 870, he wasted his money. 

Tarhunt is loosing business cause the Savage 212/220 will out shoot the Tarhunt, and do so $2000 cheaper. 

I know many people that own the Savage 220 and they either use the Accutips in 2-3/4" or my favorite the 3" shells, and they all love the accuracy they get, or some like the Federal Sabots.....There is no way Tarhunt, and Randy Fritz could convince me that the improvements they perform can give me better accuracy then I have been getting from the first day I sighted this gun in

https://www.tarhunt.com/announcing-savage-220-upgrades/

Edited by BHC

I'm not saying it's anyone here but I think it's comical that guys complain because their shotgun doesn't shoot 1" groups. I shoot 2-3" groups and I'm fine with that. Could I squeeze a little bit more accuracy out of gun? Maybe. But at what cost. Whether it is my 20ga HR, my 20ga 11-87, or my 12ga Beretta they all shoot well.  Maybe I'm just being cheap. Lol. All I know is when you poke a 50-62 caliber hole in a critter in it's vitals it will die. 

All 3 of my slug guns as well as my T/C encore are all stock guns. With decent scopes. The past few falls I fire each one at 50 yards and at 100 yards. The pie plates don't stand a chance.  ;)

Think more hunters should concentrate on shot placement and blood trailing. 

As for the link...tarhunt knows the slug gun world is making $$ right now....they want a pie of that cake. 

6 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

I'm not saying it's anyone here but I think it's comical that guys complain because their shotgun doesn't shoot 1" groups. I shoot 2-3" groups and I'm fine with that. Could I squeeze a little bit more accuracy out of gun? Maybe. But at what cost. Whether it is my 20ga HR, my 20ga 11-87, or my 12ga Beretta they all shoot well.  Maybe I'm just being cheap. Lol. All I know is when you poke a 50-62 caliber hole in a critter in it's vitals it will die. 

All 3 of my slug guns as well as my T/C encore are all stock guns. With decent scopes. The past few falls I fire each one at 50 yards and at 100 yards. The pie plates don't stand a chance.  ;)

Think more hunters should concentrate on shot placement and blood trailing. 

As for the link...tarhunt knows the slug gun world is making $$ right now....they want a pie of that cake. 

Swamp, your statement is very true.....even my cheap Mossberg 500 20ga slug gun shoots very good, not as well as my Savage, H&R, 1187 20ga, but the Mossberg holds it's own.....Shot placement as you stated is on point

Any slug gun is only as accurate as the ammo fired through it, saboted ammo takes any further tuning that can be done out of the equation. Sabots take away the barrel harmonics created by the jacketed projectile contacting the rifling as it accelerates down the barrel. I agree, they are just looking to cash in on those that think the additional tweaking is going to do something extraordinary. If your gun shoots a particular sabot just stay with that, its just not going to get much better by rifle style tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

9 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Any slug gun is only as accurate as the ammo fired through it, saboted ammo takes any further tuning that can be done out of the equation. Sabots take away the barrel harmonics created by the jacketed projectile contacting the rifling as it accelerates down the barrel. I agree, they are just looking to cash in on those that think the additional tweaking is going to do something extraordinary. If your gun shoots a particular sabot just stay with that, its just not going to get much better by rifle style tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great information,  honestly I never thought about the sabot taking  out the barrel's harmonics....thanks, we learned something new!!!

Edited by BHC

I bore sighted one and had it sighted in 3 shots. Took one extra for good measure. Ain't broken, don't fix it

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Lapping the bolt will make the action somewhat smoother, but will not have an effect on accuracy. I am ok with the action on mine as it is. It's no Mouser action, but it gets the job done. The only problem is I have to remember to slam the bolt back hard to get a clean eject, especially if the magazine is empty.

Lapping/honing the scope rings to be perfectly parallel with the bore will theoretically improve accuracy.  Unless the shooter is on a par with Chris Kyle lapping the rings will not make a difference on any gun. There is a "know-it-all" who was on the old site who would say otherwise. Thankfully that guy is not on this site to my knowledge.

Edited by 230jhp

On 6/23/2018 at 7:42 AM, Woodsman416 said:

I'd like to see an improvement with the magazine latch. That's about it.

The safety on mine is a little strange. It is three position instead of two. It has "safe" and "fire" in the normal spots. There is also a mid position where the bolt can be opened, but it will not fire.