IGNORED

Youth Bow & Arrow

GunDogs

My boy turns 4 years old this July and he’s asking for a bow so that he can shoot with me in the backyard. Been looking at the Bear Archery 1st Shot and Scout youth bows. Does anyone have any experience with these bows? Would they be a good choice for a beginner? Or should I be starting him out with something else? Any advice you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I may have one of my son's  for your boy. No cost. Let me check when I get home tonight. Gave two bows away to members on here for their youths in the past several years. Like Rusty said, they grow so fast..Been there. 

Edited by LPJR

7 hours ago, LPJR said:

I may have one of my son's  for your boy. No cost. Let me check when I get home tonight. Gave two bows away to members on here for their youths in the past several years. Like Rusty said, they grow so fast..Been there. 

Just checked, GunDogs.  Looks like I gave the last one away to Not on the Rug for his daughter. I will keep my eyes open and if I come across a youth bow it is yours....

IMG951664.jpg

At four just use the green string bow.

Bob and AJ's sells a diamond bow that is adjustable for many years and lbs.

I bought my daughter one last year and she loves it. She was 6. Comes with 3 pin finber optic sight, wisker bizkut, quiver and a few arrows. Also set up for realease.  At 4 she wasnt ready at 6 she was doing well.

The package has instructions for draw lendth and lbs. The limbs are indexed for do it yourself.

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

My son is 8 and he has been shooting since he was 8.  Most of it has been with traditional.  I started him with a cheapy plastic bow from Walmart.  For his 6th birthday I got him a nice kid's recurve at 18#.  This is the bow he excelled with.  I just moved him up to a 22# recurve and for the first time he is shooting with a glove, three fingers under.  I recommend the rubber finger grooves that go own the bow string to start out.  Make sure you use targets like balloons and cardboard boxes.  My son was getting frustrated when his arrows were bouncing off my archery target.  Start close and work your way backwards.  They have to build their confidence and build upon their successes.  I used to tape dollar bills on the target.  Everyone he hit went towards buying a new video game.  There were a lot of tears and struggles in the beginning, but now he loves it and we should as a family at least once a week, weather permitting.  A few months ago he did his first 3D which he loved.  Sorry for the rant, hope it helps.

Edited by Sharpdogs