IGNORED

Learn to swim programs?

Batsto

Just taking an informal survey.......there seems to be up tick in drownings the last few years. 

Does your local school offer a learn to swim program for elementary students? 

Some schools used to take elementary students to local town pools to teach swim basics. The program was used the last few days of schools, which was a cool idea and it may save a life. 

59 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

My how times of changed...  I know I'm only 31 but even I didn't have swim lessons..  my lesson was dad being in the bay and mom tossing me in lol.    Guess you would be arrested today for such things

DYFS would be called!

My daughter took her two to Legends(Mt Creek) for lessons.  Think that's the name of the place now.  Maybe it's Kites.  They were infants when they started.  Now 2 and 4 years old, they can swim under water with their eyes open, and float on their backs without assistance.  Costly, but not as costly as one drowning.

Edited by Greybeard

Our local schools should offer a learn to swim program the last few weeks of school. Walk or bus over to local swim club for lessons.  All lessons can be taught by a certified lifeguard or phy. Ed teachers. 

Schools waste time at the end of year. Swim lessons would be great excercise and teach a life long skill. 

My kids knew how to swim before they could ride a bike. Always a fear of mine. Granted my boys are only 13 and 10 but I swear to God they got fins.  Lol. 

If you don't have access to a pool or swim facility I definitely think parents should get them lessons. It's expensive but every sport, hobbies is nowadays. 

It blows my mind that people can't swim.  We grew up in a lake, as did our kids, and you just took it for granted that people can swim.  But sadly they can't.  

We had a sad situation a couple of years ago down the shore.  Our daughter and her friends were out floating in the surf and this 17 year old boy went out by them.  The water was only 6-7' deep where they were.  Between waves you could stand and when a wave came you could just push off the bottom and stay above water.  This kid couldn't swim and every time a wave came it went over his head.  Our kids and I have all lifeguarded over the years and our daughter realized he was in trouble so she yelled into me.  From the time she yelled to the time I got out there was only 3o seconds but in that short time the current had taken him and we couldn't find him.   He washed up on the beach 7 days later.  

Edited by Rusty

9 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Yea it can happen quick. Sucks. Sounds like he got a wave in the face. Probably filled his lungs right up. It doesn't take much unfortunately. 

Yup that's so true.  And of course nowadays everything ends up online.  

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

It blows my mind that people can't swim.  We grew up in a lake, as did our kids, and you just took it for granted that people can swim.  But sadly they can't.  

We had a sad situation a couple of years ago down the shore.  Our daughter and her friends were out floating in the surf and this 17 year old boy went out by them.  The water was only 6-7' deep where they were.  Between waves you could stand and when a wave came you could just push off the bottom and stay above water.  This kid couldn't swim and every time a wave came it went over his head.  Our kids and I have all lifeguarded over the years and our daughter realized he was in trouble so she yelled into me.  From the time she yelled to the time I got out there was only 3o seconds but in that short time the current had taken him and we couldn't find him.   He washed up on the beach 7 days later.  

Very sad story. I was a lifeguard in my younger days. It doesn't take much.  Those sand bar currents can be tricky. 

Our school district cut spring swim lessons/learn to swim program a few years ago. The Superintendent said it was a loss of instructional time and the cut would save money. 

Edited by Batsto

When I was a kid I took swimming lessons in a section of river that was dammed up in town. We called it the mud hole. I hated those 8 am swim lessons it was cold but yea it was packed with other kids from town learning to swim. I think it was the norm back in the day. The mud hole is still there but no more beach and swim lessons just a fishing hole now. 

Edited by Live to Hunt

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

18 hours ago, vdep217 said:

My how times of changed...  I know I'm only 31 but even I didn't have swim lessons..  my lesson was dad being in the bay and mom tossing me in lol.    Guess you would be arrested today for such things

That's basically how me and my brother learned to swim. My dad threw us off the dock in Shark River. Sink or learn to swim....LoL