IGNORED

Where/when/is there a next level compound?

JHbowhunter

My bow is a 2010 Matthews z7.   Replaced the sh#tty wide pretty wood handle with a focus handle right away same year. To say this bow has been very very good to me would be the understatement of the century. Smooth, Quiet, Fast, Reliable - killer.   Easy to tune, and I am on my 3rd string and cables but it's time for my 4th  - OR A NEW BOW?

I test drove a lot of bows last year - Matthews, Hoyt, and Elite....  Nothing even remotely impressed me enough to say the next quantum leap has arrived. 

I suspect it's not happening this year either. Just looking at bow reviews, same old BS crap...  I feel compound bows have hit a functional "stalemate" for the most part, although marketing would try to tell me otherwise.  I am not going to quibble over 10-30 FPS, my bow is reafast at 65# and although there are bows that shoot maybe 30 FPS faster today, I don't feel those bows shoot as well because I tried them they are shorter brace heights and far less forgiving and again - speed doesn't kill hemorrhaging does. . 

Is it me?    Or - have we hit a wall with compound technology?

I am most likely going to put new cables and string on this bow shortly and hunt another year or two or more out of it, and still keep shooting my recurve.  

Am I being ignorant - or is there really no new "holy grail" of compounds out there this year and definitely not last year based on my test drives?

I have looked at all  the new bows specs, shot a lot last year - why doesn't anything excite me?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Your Mathews is a new model compared to mine Jack. It is the first and only Mathews I have ever owned and love it too much to think about dropping $1500 on a new setup. (It is the 2005 Mathews Switchback). Smooth, accurate, quiet, fast enough, and like you said above-a killer.  

With regard to your post, I do feel that the latest technology has in fact hit the proverbial "wall" so to speak. At what point does the compound change to the point that it no longer resembles a compound bow...... Most companies have come very far in the last 5 years alone and the I.B.O speeds are unparalleled and impressive to say the least. Just not enough of a difference to justify the extra money that can be spent on more demanding priorities for me....

Edited by LPJR

Go to the shop and try some bows.

The triax is really nice and elite's new bow is really nice.

Then there is the bow tech.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I agree Jack and Lou. I only ever owned 3 bows through the years. Sounds like your just looking for a new toy Jack. Us boys and our toys. Go get that crossbow and have some fun with that. 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

I can’t honestly answer this because I just got into compounds.  I bought a used PSE XS from the smoking gun at the end of the season last year.  This will be my first season hunting with it, I had been practicing regularly with it.  I myself checked out a bunch of bows at targeteers and there wasn’t anything calling out my name that made me want to invest $1500 or so.  I’m going to hunt with the one I got for a few seasons to make sure I enjoy before I put that kind of money into another piece of equipment. I 

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

I have a 2006 SBXT and I haven't shot a new bow in a decade that was worth replacing the SBXT...until I shot a Halon a few years ago. It was smoother and more quiet and 'dead in the hand' than any bow I had shot. But, it was just too much to spend on something I cannot shoot much any longer due to my shoulder issues. Haven't shot any more new bows, just doing more fishing. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

8 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

My bow is a 2010 Matthews z7.   Replaced the sh#tty wide pretty wood handle with a focus handle right away same year. To say this bow has been very very good to me would be the understatement of the century. Smooth, Quiet, Fast, Reliable - killer.   Easy to tune, and I am on my 3rd string and cables but it's time for my 4th  - OR A NEW BOW?

I test drove a lot of bows last year - Matthews, Hoyt, and Elite....  Nothing even remotely impressed me enough to say the next quantum leap has arrived. 

I suspect it's not happening this year either. Just looking at bow reviews, same old BS crap...  I feel compound bows have hit a functional "stalemate" for the most part, although marketing would try to tell me otherwise.  I am not going to quibble over 10-30 FPS, my bow is reafast at 65# and although there are bows that shoot maybe 30 FPS faster today, I don't feel those bows shoot as well because I tried them they are shorter brace heights and far less forgiving and again - speed doesn't kill hemorrhaging does. . 

Is it me?    Or - have we hit a wall with compound technology?

I am most likely going to put new cables and string on this bow shortly and hunt another year or two or more out of it, and still keep shooting my recurve.  

Am I being ignorant - or is there really no new "holy grail" of compounds out there this year and definitely not last year based on my test drives?

I have looked at all  the new bows specs, shot a lot last year - why doesn't anything excite me?

I have no clue if we hit a wall or not...I don't pay attention to bows like I used to....My Elite is still perfect and I probably won't change for another few years if at all

Compound technology is still improving, perhaps not by leaps and bounds like it did several years ago, but it is still improving.  

Those extra 30fps won't make you more accurate, but they may allow you to shoot a heavier arrow, which could improve your penetration on marginal shots or shots a little further down range.   Heck, it could be the difference between a deer jumping the string and taking a gut shot or having the shot be a nice , clean kill .

That doesn't mean we need to go out and buy the newest bows each year, but when there is a technology shift it's worth having a look . 

When PSE came out with the Evolve cam a few years ago, it 1 upped what Elite had been doing in terms of smoothness and let off and still being able to seamlessly transfer energy to the shot without massive hand shock.  

Then they out did themselves again with their Xpedite bow.  It replaced the full throttle as their speed bow, but shoots just as smoothly as just about any other bow out there.  Now you've got a 360fps IBO bow that is 33" ATA.  Granted, it's a 5 1/4" brace height, but you'd never actually know it based on the design.  The bow is forgiving, silent and absolutely dead in the hand.  I was blown away the first time I shot it.  Real world numbers on the bow are insane. I don't remember offhand the specs of the arrow I shot at Strictly Archery or the speed it made through the chrono, but I remember seeing this video a while ago and it's not an exaggerations.  

So...to answer your question, there are bows out there doing things that the last generation of bows can't even imagine doing .  Same is true for your car, your cell phone, your computer, etc.  It's up to you to decide if you want to fix up an old, outdated piece of technology forever or spend money on something new.  Everyone has to decide that on their own.  Look at it this way, your bow is probably worth $200.  Is it worth spending $200 or more to spruce it up?  If your 15 year old car was only worth $5k, would you put $5k worth of work in to it to keep it on the road?  At what point does it become a bad investment?

Agree with not on the rug. When I switched it was probably more extreme of a jump in technology than yours would be. I went from a 99/2000 Hoyt Magnatech to a 2016 Xpedition X7. 7" brace height, awesome easily repeatable grip and I am able to shoot a 60 grain heavier arrow faster and quieter compared to my old bow. The difference for me was in fact leaps and bounds.

2 hours ago, DV1 said:

I have a 2006 SBXT and I haven't shot a new bow in a decade that was worth replacing the SBXT...until I shot a Halon a few years ago. It was smoother and more quiet and 'dead in the hand' than any bow I had shot. But, it was just too much to spend on something I cannot shoot much any longer due to my shoulder issues. Haven't shot any more new bows, just doing more fishing. 

Halon was one of the bows I tried last summer - great bow, just didn't feel like enough of an upgrade over current bow to warrant it. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

My first hunting bow was in 1980 it was Jennings, then a few years later it was a Bear Whitetail II, then I ended up getting a Hoyt Superslam. My first Mathews was a ZMax in 1997, then in 2005 Switchback XT, then I got a Mathews Z7......I really loved all these Mathews bows......After my Z7 was stolen I was in the market for a new bow, I made a concerned effort to handle many bows as I can, one bow I wanted to handle but never did was a Obsession (forgot the model), some felt good in my hand, some didn't. I ended up getting the Mathews Z2, got it for a great price, which is cross between the Z7 & Z7 Magnum, I like a bow with a 30" Axel to Axel.

All the bows today are great, best thing to do is handle as many as you can

Mathews z7 is hands down the best bow I have shot. I shot quite a few bows in the last 2 years and none made me say wow, like my Mathews Z7.

The funny thing is when I am shooting it at the bow range, people have asked me what I shoot because it is really quiet and I tell them, and the look on their face is of shock. Like how can an older bow be so quiet?

I love it and won't be buying a new bow for a while.

I was a Hoyt guy for years but after major tuning issues on two different bows I went another route and IMO Prime has the latest/ greatest innovations on a compound bow. With the side by side cam to stop cam lean along with a spring loaded cable guide that pulls in closer to arrow when drawn and springs out of the way on release to keep everything as straight as possible. I've never had a bow that was so easy to tune and shoot fixed heads as good as my Prime Defy does! With it being super quiet, insanely accurate and getting free replacement strings every two years it's a win for me and may be my last bow purchase if it holds up. Oh and it didn't cost me 1500$ more like 700!