IGNORED

Building Some Natural Blinds w/ Kids

My 12 year old past her shotgun hunter safety last week and softball ended so there was motivation and opportunity to actually get some time in the woods Saturday morning to work on building a ground blind together. There was a spot with many crossing trails about 200 yards away from the ground blind we built a couple of years ago that we hunt regularly. Now that the oldest turned 14 I want to be able to go out with both kids and needed a spot reasonably near by. We also spotted a couple of great bucks on the trail cam in December in the area. We stopped putting out purchased hub blinds and started building this type made 95 % from whatever Mother Nature leaves us. It's a lot of fun, isn't noticed by passer byes and it gets the kids involved. Here is what we put together Saturday - see bottom pics (needs a little more work from the sides and back). Also are a couple of blinds we built in the last years and a couple of the Bucks we had on camera that we never got a shot at....one we did get as well. 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by buckfever1974

24 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Nice!!  Fun activity to do with the lil ones!! 

Remember, a lil back cover to break up any silhouette goes a long way....like in the last pic....those leaves in background will be gone in fall/winter and some debris in the back will be good!

Saturday I had a plan. 

The ground within the mountain laurel was unbalanced and I wanted to build up the front.  I had all the tools and a general plan of what I wanted to do.  We actually took dirt from one location and filled in the uneven ground such that we could use the Caldwell field pod and set up a chair without being unbalanced.  That went better then expected.  The front you can see looks great although I am going to add one piece of burlap to that cheap Walmart netting.  

I did buy 5ft x 19ft piece of military netting that I am going to use as a wrap around which I will use for background and from the side in spots.  The plan s to brush it in with smaller bushes and pine that likewise were blown down as the season gets closer.  The leaves are mountain laurel so that stuff will be there all season.