IGNORED

Looking to buy a bicycle

Lunatic

I’m recovering from elbow surgery from injury I sustained almost a yer ago. For the first time in 20 years I’m not playing hockey, my go to 3 times/week exercise, so I’m am out of shape and 15lb overweight. I should be able to hit the ice again in two months so I need to get my cardio back to a reasonable level. I have a stationary bike but I hate it. I’m thinking regular bike is the answer. I have a paved trail near by, about 10 miles from Keyport to Sandy hook and the idea is to make this run at least 4 times/week before my arm heals.  I don’t know shit about bikes so I have no idea what to get. What’s good without breaking the bank?

thanks

L

You flatlanders don't need anything special.  $300 beach cruiser will do.  J/K . 

All depends on how fast you want to go, and how much you want to spend.  Look on ebay or craigslist.  You can get a used bike for a fraction of the cost of new, but you need to know what will fit you.   I'm guessing a road bike?  Skinny tires, or a hybrid?  Many options to consider.  You won't need a lot of gears down there.  And a lot depends on your ability.   A cheap-o single speed beach bike can be hard to pedal.  Stay away from the new bikes in the $300 range and go for something $600-1000 at least, if you have the doe.

If the trail is "paved" as you mentioned then any bike road bike, hybrid or traditional with balloon tires will work.

If not paved then hybrid or balloon.  Check out craigs list and save a ton of $$.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I’m recovering from elbow surgery from injury I sustained almost a yer ago. For the first time in 20 years I’m not playing hockey, my go to 3 times/week exercise, so I’m am out of shape and 15lb overweight. I should be able to hit the ice again in two months so I need to get my cardio back to a reasonable level. I have a stationary bike but I hate it. I’m thinking regular bike is the answer. I have a paved trail near by, about 10 miles from Keyport to Sandy hook and the idea is to make this run at least 4 times/week before my arm heals.  I don’t know shit about bikes so I have no idea what to get. What’s good without breaking the bank?

thanks

L

And I thought the bike was going to be for your kid for locking the keys in the car. LOL. Good luck with the recovery

I have this one.  Have had it for a few years and love it.  Go to Walmart.com and look at it and some of the other Schwin bikes.  Can't go wrong for 149.00, look at the reviews.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mens-Schwinn-Sidewinder-Bike/151457759.  They talk about assembly, but just buy one off the rack already set up.

Edited by Nomad

I just bought a Trek bike for $500 at "Brielle Cyclery"a few weeks ago, they were Great!! I didnt know much about bikes either & didnt want to break the bank  & they knew exactly what I needed.. I dont know exactly where you are but Brielle is probably within a half hour from you. I highly recommend them.  Good Luck & Have fun!

How much are you looking to spend?

Prices at the local bike shop start around $300 or $400.  Anything less and you're looking at Walmart or Target.  Don't buy any accessories when you buy the bike.  Buy accessories online from the likes of Nashbar.com or PerformanceBike.com

Have a look at BikesDirect.com, some nice bikes at prices that are hard to beat.

If you're recovering from surgery, you probably will not want the more aero (leaned forward) stance of the road bike.  I am thinking something more upright, like a mtb or cruiser.

However, cruisers, especially those with a beer bottle opener welded on the frame might be a bit too laid back. ;-)

I would suggest SRAM or Shimano components.  Campagnolo is too pricey.

If you're tall, like close to or greater than 6", maybe a 29'er. (29" wheels)

On the flats, I would forget rear suspension, probably front too.  Disc brakes optional.

Here's a nice bike for $450.  Free shipping too.  Nice Fuji at $499.

Throw out a $ amount and any other info and I'll find one for you.

Disclosure: I'm a bike guy, my road bike is worth more than my car, my mtb is worth more than my car, my motorcycle is worth more than my car, and my rifle is worth more than my car. :-)

6 hours ago, username said:

How much are you looking to spend?

Prices at the local bike shop start around $300 or $400.  Anything less and you're looking at Walmart or Target.  Don't buy any accessories when you buy the bike.  Buy accessories online from the likes of Nashbar.com or PerformanceBike.com

Have a look at BikesDirect.com, some nice bikes at prices that are hard to beat.

If you're recovering from surgery, you probably will not want the more aero (leaned forward) stance of the road bike.  I am thinking something more upright, like a mtb or cruiser.

However, cruisers, especially those with a beer bottle opener welded on the frame might be a bit too laid back. ;-)

I would suggest SRAM or Shimano components.  Campagnolo is too pricey.

If you're tall, like close to or greater than 6", maybe a 29'er. (29" wheels)

On the flats, I would forget rear suspension, probably front too.  Disc brakes optional.

Here's a nice bike for $450.  Free shipping too.  Nice Fuji at $499.

Throw out a $ amount and any other info and I'll find one for you.

Disclosure: I'm a bike guy, my road bike is worth more than my car, my mtb is worth more than my car, my motorcycle is worth more than my car, and my rifle is worth more than my car. :-)

Thanks for the info!!

your bicycle cost more than your car??:whacky: