IGNORED

2018 Notable Full Moons (Rut planning)

JHbowhunter

I like when that full moon hits later in October or earlier in November than what it will this year, but although I do put credence in how the moon can draw the doe population into their mensies, I would rather it just be consistently cold for the rut which almost NEVER happens.   It certainly won't be a "fully synchronized rut" this year as neither full moon is hitting during peak doe estrous.   

All that being said - any day in the woods between the 10/24 full moon and the 11/23 full moon has the chance to be a really good day.   Maybe we can make a case November 8th which will be smack in between the full moons, is that "one day a year" to be in the woods? 

Sep. 24 Harvest Moon 10:53 p.m

Oct. 24 Hunter's Moon 12:45 p.m

Nov. 23 Beaver Moon 12:39 a.m

Dec. 22 Cold Moon 12:49 p.m

Thoughts?

AND - will the REAL TURKEY WING please come forward?   It's time that the pre-eminent Rut Expert reveals their true identity.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

IMO  we have had way more rut activity in late October than we used to.

Having the moon on the 24th will have that week into Halloween with them on their feet

Dan  I agree . The last 2 years I've seen a lot of rut activity late October and not just the little guys .  

16 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

AND - will the REAL TURKEY WING please come forward?   It's time that the pre-eminent Rut Expert reveals their true identity.

He can't because it's peak rut in zone 10 and he's on stand all day today. 

Edited by Bucksnbows

If Charlie was right about the moon then the chasing phase of the rut should be a week earlier than normal this year.  And as others have already stated, the temperatures during the last week of October and the first week of November will play a major role in the intensity of rutting activity observed .  

Personally I prefer hunting the post rut.  Bucks are much easier to pattern then.   

Lou 1.jpg

Edited by Rusty

Last year I killed a mature stinky, swollen neck, rutting buck on October 14. You never know but I hunt as much as possible all season long so watching the moon is pointless for me.  The only thing I always hope for is temperatures dropping which instantly increases deer activity during the day.   

Edited by Lunatic

There is no denying moon impacts deer activity.  I suspect that first full moon of archery and several days either side of it in September- hunting will SUCK.  The deer will be nearly 100% nocturnal.   The October full moon, could be interesting.  I almost feel it's just a little too early and it could result in some bad daytime activity. It could also go the other way and open the flood gates to the rut

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….