IGNORED

Boots

Swamp_Yankee

I looked around for a LONG time for a good pair of western style boots that had a good quality sole in the $200 range.  I found a lot of boots from Ariat, etc...that are billed as work boots but the soles are pretty much the equivalent of the junk you'd find on a pair of work boots from Wal-Mart.  I was looking for the equivalent of what you'd find on a logger or lineman type boot from Danner, Wesco, etc...which is usually a Vibram 100 two piece sole with a stacked 2" heel.  The two piece heel is important because I tend to walk on the outsides of them and about every six months I need new heel caps (as opposed to a whole new sole).  Needless to say I never found a western style boot with what I was looking for, but I did find Dan Post Albuquerques which are a good quality waterproof, insulated work boot that had a sole that was essentially a copy of the Vibram 430 mini-lug sole with a stacked 2" heel.  This is what they looked like new right after their first coat of Blackrock boot oil:

SktbZW6.jpg

This is them after having a local guy put the new Vibram 100s on and a lot of oil later:

pH2lair.jpg

AVJzUZj.jpg

I wear these boots to the office every day plus out in the field with my public works crew/engineer when needed, doing chores around the farm (unless I'm really in the mud), church on Sundays, etc...  My wife says I need a new pair but with the new soles I figure I can get at least another two years out of them-at which point I'll put another pair of new soles on :up:

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Shouldn't that be one of Jack's  poll questions?  Ever worn cowboy boots?;)

Every day :up:  I started wearing them more out of practicality than anything-I just like having a good pair of boots that I don't have to tie.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

I am looking into new work boots. Currently in a pair of slip on Dr. Martens but my step count has jumped from an average of 5k during the work day to 18k. Great thread.

I can relate to the abnormal wear. These boots are new from February.IMG_0739.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

I am looking into new work boots. Currently in a pair of slip on Dr. Martens but my step count has jumped from an average of 5k during the work day to 18k. Great thread

Get yourself a pair with two piece soles:

https://bigblackboots.com/bsoles.htm

I've never ordered boots from those guys but they're a good source of information-they supply loggers, wildland firefighters, linemen, motorcycle cops, etc...  My boot guy charges me $25.00 a pair to put new heel caps on-takes about 20 minutes and I'm good for another six months or so.  It beats having to buy another pair of boots or soles.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee