IGNORED

Fly Fishing Lessons

Hondo

I'm 50 years old and I have been fishing since I was 5 years old. My wife and I had recently moved and to make a long story short, I lost every piece of fishing equipment that I have owned. Since If I want to fish again I need to start from scratch so I was thinking about learning how to fly fish since I've never learned how.

I have plenty of questions but I'll keep it to a few to start with.

1. What weight outfit would I need to fish for trout? I used to have a 5' ultra light but IDK about a fly rod and reel.

2. Is it difficult to learn to fly fish?

3. My eyes are 50+ years old. how do you tie the flies on the line?

4. What kind of flies do you need? How many?

5. How much $ can I expect to spend on a decent, not top of the line rod and reel, waders...……. You know everything.

Thank you in advance

6 minutes ago, Hondo said:

I'm 50 years old and I have been fishing since I was 5 years old. My wife and I had recently moved and to make a long story short, I lost every piece of fishing equipment that I have owned. Since If I want to fish again I need to start from scratch so I was thinking about learning how to fly fish since I've never learned how.

I have plenty of questions but I'll keep it to a few to start with.

1. What weight outfit would I need to fish for trout? I used to have a 5' ultra light but IDK about a fly rod and reel.

5. How much $ can I expect to spend on a decent, not top of the line rod and reel, waders...……. You know everything.

Thank you in advance

Hondo,

You have Tightlines Fly Shop near you and Shannon's a bit further and both shops can help you big time.  There is NO NEED to break the bank when it comes to NJ fly fishing for trout and/or panfish.  I can't speak for Tightlines, but Shannon's sells packages with everything included.  I believe they have 3 packages (lower end, middle end, and higher end).  They probably don't advertise that on their website, but I don't know.  The cost savings is excellent when you go with one of their packages and they can and do often make substitutions if you prefer.  Give me a couple of hours to respond to the other questions - running out to my daughter's final high school play. 

So before She Who Must Be Obeyed yanks me out the door, I teach anglers to fly fish of every age and have started kids under 7 and have taught one adult that was 91.  Both caught trout their first trip.  I prefer an 8'6" for 4 weight as my all around NJ trout rod, but I recommend a 5 weight in that length to newbies as it is a bit more versatile for newer fly anglers.  On big rivers, I only use a 5 weight and I go to a 9 footer.  Fly fishing is not difficult to learn if you take a lesson.  Local TU chapters often put on classes although most are over by now.  Our Hacklebarney TU chapter which meets close to you does an excellent class and you can learn more on their website or Facebook page.  At Shannon's we charge $130 for a 4 hour trip, one angler, on public water.  That is our #1 trip for newbies, and you will leave knowing the basics and able to catch fish at least some of the time as you build your skills.  I'm 53 and the tying flies onto thin tippet is growing more and more difficult but nowhere near impossible.  I haven't had to start using a small tool for that job called a threader yet and hope not to ever need to.  Fies are basic to start with and you can probably search this site for other threads where I and others knowledgeable list some basic ones you want with you on the rivers and streams.  There are literally millions of different flies, but in no way do you need more than a dozen patterns or less to get started.  Presentation is far more important than the fly you choose...... more later.  You know who is giving me the hook.

:flyfish:      

Hondo,

There are plenty of really great people here that could spit out thousands of minute details regarding Fly fishing and all the many ways to do it.

I will begin by giving you the Readers Digest Version of Fly Fishing.

1. What weight outfit would I need to fish for trout? 

Basically, The weight outfit depends on what size HOOK you will be throwing. (Look up fly weight Rods and hook sizes)

No, but like everything worthwhile in life... you need to put a little time and effort into it.

Start with very basic and easy flip and roll type casts.

There are hundreds of different knots available. Depends on where the knot needs to be used on the location of the Fly Line. (Read a book or look upon line)

There are even little gadgets available for those of us with less than perfect eyes, and old fat fingers

Again, depends on what weight size you have for a fly rod, and the type of water you will be fishing.

There are floating "Dry" flies, Weighted Sinking Flies, and everything between.

To begin catching fish, you don't even need a Fly. Use a hook with a worm on it and have some fun.

Very subjective question. All Prices and Milage vary.

Figure between $35 to Literally Thousands $$$$$. Pick something simple and try it out and have some fun.

So, I am sure you can grab a decent little 6 weight outfit relatively cheaply.

You do not need to use flies for everything. I even use the worm on the hook, a little split shot,  and drift for trout.

Before you know it you'll be banging Trout, like a sailor on leave banging @#$%&* in the Philippines.:up:

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

3 hours ago, Hondo said:

Thank you guys for your advise. I'm feeling a bit excited to learn something new about fishing.

Lots of great advise from knowledgeable anglers on this site Hondo, as seen above. My son and I are looking forward to hitting the Big Flatbrook Wednesday night for some rainbows on the fly rods with Bucksnbows. Hope to post up some pics afterwards....:up:

Here is the advice Bucksnbows gave to another thread in terms of a starting point for fly selection:

Pheasant tail nymphs - beadhead and non beadhead, flashback style and non, sizes 10 down to 20.

Hare's ear nymphs - same as above

Woolly Buggers - olive, black, brown, and white, and in that order.  Sizes 6, 8 and 10 with and without beadheads

Tan elk hair caddis dry flies - sizes 12 down to 18

Adams parachute style dry flies, sizes 10 down to 22.  

Green and tan caddis larva, sizes 12 down to 20.

LaFontaine sparkle pupa (caddis pupa stage, fished on top, mid current, or on bottom depending on where fish are feeding) - colors tan, black, cinnamon, green and sizes 14 down to 18 for the most part.

Infamous Pink Worm (aka - bacon and eggs, a rainbow favorite).  This is a pink San Juan worm with a yellow egg tied in as a trigger. 

Scuds!  Olive and tan and sizes 14 down to 18.  

Egg patterns.  Think small like trout eggs and not overly large.  I like pink, flesh colored, and disco (multi-colored).   

BWO (blue winged olive) parachute dry flies in sizes 14 down to 22.  BWOs are common on all trout waters and are made up of several hatches including at least one species that hatches twice a yea

Rusty spinner dry flies.  

Here is the advice Bucksnbows gave to another thread in terms of a starting point for fly selection:

Pheasant tail nymphs - beadhead and non beadhead, flashback style and non, sizes 10 down to 20.

Hare's ear nymphs - same as above

Woolly Buggers - olive, black, brown, and white, and in that order.  Sizes 6, 8 and 10 with and without beadheads

Tan elk hair caddis dry flies - sizes 12 down to 18

Adams parachute style dry flies, sizes 10 down to 22.  

Green and tan caddis larva, sizes 12 down to 20.

LaFontaine sparkle pupa (caddis pupa stage, fished on top, mid current, or on bottom depending on where fish are feeding) - colors tan, black, cinnamon, green and sizes 14 down to 18 for the most part.

Infamous Pink Worm (aka - bacon and eggs, a rainbow favorite).  This is a pink San Juan worm with a yellow egg tied in as a trigger. 

Scuds!  Olive and tan and sizes 14 down to 18.  

Egg patterns.  Think small like trout eggs and not overly large.  I like pink, flesh colored, and disco (multi-colored).   

BWO (blue winged olive) parachute dry flies in sizes 14 down to 22.  BWOs are common on all trout waters and are made up of several hatches including at least one species that hatches twice a yea

Rusty spinner dry flies.  

I will add two flys that have always “make the day” on tough outings where fish won’t cooperate. The rainbow warrior in size 12 or 14 and a brown and white clouser minnow in size 8. The warrior is a great attractor ahead of an sbr nymph in a duel rig and the clouser swung down and across stream is a big trout killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

As for set ups orvis clearwater as mentioned above is a great combo, 5 or 6 weight will do. Casting is essential to learning, learn to roll cast with a tight loop and learn to snake roll for change of direction and mend to create a good dead drift. Have at it and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM