IGNORED

Seeding question

Friday afternoon we were going to plant a 2 acre plot but ran into a little issue . It was corn last year so we brush hogged and disced . Then we were going to run the chain link harrow to smooth things out but the chopped up corn stubble kept balling up under the harrow .  So we didn't get any seed in the ground . Want to seed tomorrow with rain coming Wednesday ( hopefully they get it right ) . The ground has a lot of moisture in it . The seed to be planted calls for 3/4 to 1 inch planting depth . Should we seed and lightly disc than culdipak or just seed and culdipak ?  Am I over thinking this ?  Here's some pics of the field . The seed will be broadcast .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, tcook8296 said:

What are you planting

Tom , we are planting an acre of sunn hemp and and acre of buck draw from merit which is a summer blend of sunflower , sunn hemp , soy beans , lab lab and peas .  Something different . 

I ran into the same issue with rye over the weekend. I didnt terminate it early enough this year due to the weather. I ran the disk with a drag attached to it. It balled up the rye. I ended up delaying the planting a day to pick up a couple hundred piles of hay over 5 acres. It sucked. I ran the Kubota hard to beat the rain Sunday but got the seeds in the ground

www.liftxrentals.com

Ive planted soybeans by discing, spreading the seed, then lightly discing again with good results. You could run the cultipacker over the field after that. If you have smaller seeds, broadcast them after packing. Messing with wet fields, you can do more damage than good. Running equipment over wet fields will result in soil compaction and rutting up the field. Sometimes its better to wait for your next window to plant. Usually the corn stubble is chopped up at the end of the season and then plowed under .

Whatever you decide , make sure you post pics of your results. We are all learning here 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Got the 2 acres planted yesterday .  Disced the field once more , seeded and ran the chain link harrow over to cover the seed .  Worked nice with not as much trouble with the corn stubble balling up this time . Rain today so we're looking good .  Will keep you updated on the progress .

12 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Got the 2 acres planted yesterday .  Disced the field once more , seeded and ran the chain link harrow over to cover the seed .  Worked nice with not as much trouble with the corn stubble balling up this time . Rain today so we're looking good .  Will keep you updated on the progress .

:up: :up:

Do you have a plan for a  late season food source?

I did some reading on the mix and it looks like a good  summer time plot however it most likely wont be around for hunting season. Do you have plans on doing something for late season?  You can always over seed rye in September. I like to do turnips and radishes early August. 

I like having turnips and radishes around for late season. Having the only greens around in January really draws the deer in. Ive actually shifted my hunting efforts from late October on. As you can tell I focus more on trying  to attract one or 2 bucks a season. However having late season food draws the neighborhood deer in. Especially heavily pressured bucks. 20170107_160929_001.thumb.jpg.54c928f35bcd5c00c30fc19d3833c4f1.jpg20170107_164144.thumb.jpg.8aef845a7a235a190802f96826aa3d8b.jpg20161217_143402.thumb.jpg.362cf67d34e91f529e6d59755117d8b9.jpg

www.liftxrentals.com

Harvested deer in a snowstorm. Came into the food plot a little too early. 

My food plots are strictly to attract deer. 

I had 5 bucks come single file into the food plot. He was the last one

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

10 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Do you have a plan for a  late season food source?

I did some reading on the mix and it looks like a good  summer time plot however it most likely wont be around for hunting season. Do you have plans on doing something for late season?  You can always over seed rye in September. I like to do turnips and radishes early August. 

I like having turnips and radishes around for late season. Having the only greens around in January really draws the deer in. Ive actually shifted my hunting efforts from late October on. As you can tell I focus more on trying  to attract one or 2 bucks a season. However having late season food draws the neighborhood deer in. Especially heavily pressured bucks. 20170107_160929_001.thumb.jpg.54c928f35bcd5c00c30fc19d3833c4f1.jpg20170107_164144.thumb.jpg.8aef845a7a235a190802f96826aa3d8b.jpg20161217_143402.thumb.jpg.362cf67d34e91f529e6d59755117d8b9.jpg

This is the first time we have tried a summer plot .  The sunn hemp is two fold as its a summer food source and it's also excellent for the soil . It pulls up nitrogen from deep in the soil and will help raise the ph plus it's a great weed suppressor . We will definitely be planting something in the fall for late season .  Most likely a mix of oats , rye , clover and some type of brassicas / turnips .  Found some sheds in and around our turnips this past year .