Psehunter

Boat registration

I found a aluminum row boat in recycling at work so I grabbed it..I measured it and it's 11'4".. do I have to get it registered?? From what I found dmv's web site said  any motorized vesal 12 feet or longer needs to be but the fees should $12 for any vesal under 16'  soooo technical I shouldnt have to right?? Just wondering if anyone here knows the answer so that I don't have to try and talk to the friendly people at dmv or learn the expensive way that I did have to.

20 minutes ago, GhostBear said:

Not 12 then no, put a motor on it gas or electric, then yes.

Correct

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GhostBear said:

Not 12 then no, put a motor on it gas or electric, then yes.

Yup :up:

Don't shot the messenger not Raining on your Parade or Bashing. Be glad if you don't have to register it. As they will ask for a bill of sale.  I found it, A guy gave it to me  Dose not cut it. Been there done it.

Topic cleaned up. All non related content removed. Come on guys, let’s stop with the needling and attacks. As was noticeable in those posts other members see what’s going on and it’s just getting silly. It’s gone on long enough and the trickling of it into every topic won’t be accepted. Take it to PMs if you want to argue. Next step will be bans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Don't shot the messenger not Raining on your Parade or Bashing. Be glad if you don't have to register it. As they will ask for a bill of sale.  I found it, A guy gave it to me  Dose not cut it. Been there done it.

If this sounds far-fetched Years ago I put an Electric Trolling Motor on a Wilderness Pamlico excel just over 12 ft. was stopped by NJMSP on the Raritan Bay and given a Warning for it not being registered. When I tried there was No Class for it they had no Clue. and gave me a letter till it was settled 2 weeks later they called me in and Charged me $30. and Gave me the registration the Numbers to Buy and put on it. and added On My drivers License the words Boat Operator $$. To make matters worse the registration said gas Operated. but not to worry. Even a kayak has a Serial Number Burned in somewhere on the Hull at least they did.   Like I said been there done it. 

• Like 1

I get what you're saying buck, I've been there too with boats that I have found in the past. Going back 15 years I would normally take them to the state police on lake Hopatcong where they would inspect it, run the VIN if there was one to make sure it's not stolen and then they would give me the proper paperwork to get it registered. This was always with a boat that was over 12'. This one I got is under 12' and I am planning on putting a trolling motor on it but if I could avoid going through the hassle of paper work I'll just get a set of ores for it and I'm done...I have  20' bass boat that I can run but this is perfect for me to take my son out on the pond that's down the street from me where I can not put my bass boat in....thanks for all the replys guy..

• Like 1

my 11'6" Grumman rowboat had to be registered to put the trolling motor on it. I tried the same argument, didn't work.

1 hour ago, 1957Buck said:

If this sounds far-fetched Years ago I put an Electric Trolling Motor on a Wilderness Pamlico excel just over 12 ft. was stopped by NJMSP on the Raritan Bay and given a Warning for it not being registered. When I tried there was No Class for it they had no Clue. and gave me a letter till it was settled 2 weeks later they called me in and Charged me $30. and Gave me the registration the Numbers to Buy and put on it. and added On My drivers License the words Boat Operator $$. To make matters worse the registration said gas Operated. but not to worry. Even a kayak has a Serial Number Burned in somewhere on the Hull at least they did.   Like I said been there done it. 

Good bless you brave souls that go out on RB in a yak. :)

5 hours ago, Swampy said:

Good bless you brave souls that go out on RB in a yak. :)

That was many years ago. when using a Kayak for fishing was beginning. Most were members of kayakfishingstuff.com  Outfitting and designing Kayaks. At 77 yo my bet is not many of us are left. There is a New Breed out there now with some Very Tricked out Yaks. and Models to chose from. Safety became # 1 issue yet some drown every year as they ignore the Dangers. One is when to be On RB and when not to.  I see much Kayaking on RB now and they are very successful.  I had 4 Kayaks From Sit-Ins ( Sinks ) to Sit-ONs. along with my Son and Daughter. 

6 hours ago, Mr12gauge said:

my 11'6" Grumman rowboat had to be registered to put the trolling motor on it. I tried the same argument, didn't work.

Things are not always what they seem but Black and White usually suffice.   when in dought ask them to show you the law ( Regulations ).  And hope they are having a good Day.  Hate to even mention what we went through for my Wifes Handicap Card with a legit Doctors Prescription.  

6 hours ago, Mr12gauge said:

Sorry to hear that NJDMV Clearly says 12 ft and Over.  Do you have the Original Manufacturer's Title saying 11'6" you have a case?  

And the DMV said keep all the papers with you because you will be stopped and have to show the officer he is wrong, that usually goes over very well. I'd rather spend a couple bucks and not be hassled.