IGNORED

HUNTING MIDDAY OR ALL DAY WHO DOES IT

I never used to hunt all day just morning and evenings. Every time I hunted midday I never had luck. The last 2 years during the rut I have been hunting all day and definitely midday from 10am-2pm. I still have had absolutely no luck seeing much midday but my buddy insists on it so I do it just to prove him wrong but I’m dying for him to be right lol.

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

I use a lot of trail cams and would hunt mid day if my cams showed me that I should. But I know others have had mid day success and believe in it. 

Yup my buddy swears by it and always texts me pics of guys having success midday. I just never see it:rant:

For many years I did all day sits during the rut on public land or on outfitted hunts to maximize my chances, now I hunt a private farm that’s quality managed with  all the timber being a sanctuary that no one enters. So now I hunt from pre dawn to  12:30pm  then I run back to the house to grab a quick lunch and to stretch out for a 1/2 hour with the alarm set for 1:30 in case I doze off, then back in a tree by 2pm. That little break is all I need to completely revitalize myself and fire me up for the afternoon sit. That’s my everyday routine in November out west. At this point in my life, It’s much more  enjoyable than all day sits and has proven to be very successful. If I was to pick the absolute most succeful hours of the day for mature bucks, hands down it would be from between 10am to noon.  More than half the bucks I’ve posted on here over the years came at high noon in mid November. We’ve all read it in our favorite hunting magazines, but it’s an absolute fact! If you are hunting an area where mature bucks actually exist (not NJ) MATURE BUCKS WILL BE ON THERE FEET CRUISING BEDDING AREAS FROM MID MORNING TO MID AFTERNOON  until they are  locked down with a hot doe. 

1 minute ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

For many years I did all day sits during the rut on public land or on outfitted hunts to maximize my chances, now I hunt a private farm that’s quality managed with  all the timber being a sanctuary that no one enters. So now I hunt from pre dawn to  12:30pm  then I run back to the house to grab a quick lunch and to stretch out for a 1/2 hour with the alarm set for 1:30 in case I doze off, then back in a tree by 2pm. That little break is all I need to completely revitalize myself and fire me up for the afternoon sit. That’s my everyday routine in November out west. At this point in my life, It’s much more  enjoyable than all day sits and has proven to be very successful. If I was to pick the absolute most succeful hours of the day for mature bucks, hands down it would be from between 10am to noon.  More than half the bucks I’ve posted on here over the years came at high noon in mid November. We’ve all read it in our favorite hunting magazines, but it’s an absolute fact! If you are hunting an area where mature bucks actually exist (not NJ) MATURE BUCKS WILL BE ON THERE FEET CRUISING BEDDING AREAS FROM MID MORNING TO MID AFTERNOON  until they are  locked down with a hot doe. 

Great advice. :up:

I’ve killed almost every rut buck I’ve shot between 10am and 1pm.  If I had to pick a segment of the day to hunt it would definitely be midday.  I have always felt that mature bucks are running does in the dark all night and will rest for a short time early morning, then start searching again mid morning.  All day sits in the rut are definitely worth it.  Every buck will get up at some point midday and take a walk and I like to be there when he does!

I'll spend some middays stillhunting and scouting throughout the season.  Once the rut starts, I think your luck will depend on where you're hunting and how many bucks are in the area.  I know when there were a lot of bucks around here, I would see many bucks roaming and chasing doe midday, and coming out into the fields early.  That doesn't happen much anymore, now that the numbers are few.   I've seen dominant bucks bed at first light and not move again until after dark.  Think they are busy enough at night when there isn't competition from other bucks to not want to move during daylight.  Near doe bedding areas, or on travel routes between bedding is where you'll want to be midday.  The thicker, the better.

Gun season it's all day.  Never know when somebody else will kick one up.

I only do all day sits during the "rut". That being around last week of October to end of December. I still think all things being equal, your best sits are AM and PM. I have a friend that swears by mid day hunting. He only hunts mid day. So, in my opinion, it's a self fulfilled prophecy. 

Edited by archer36

I typically hunt until 10:30-11 and then get out for lunch and back in the stand by 1:30-2. However this past season on November 1st I called out of work to hunt. It was raining in the morning so I figured I’d sit the afternoon. I saw the nicest buck of the season on the front lawn of the property I hunt as I was walking in. It was about 1:30-2 when I saw him so he definitely passed my stand around 1-1:15. I will now sit the stand the entire day during the rut lol.

I find it almost impossible to sit in the same stand all day but, what I do is get down if action is slow and move to another stand.  This revives me and allows me to stretch my legs and eat.  

Edited by Live to Hunt

13 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

I find it almost impossible to sit in the same stand all day but, what I do is get down if action is slow and move to another stand.  This revives me and allows me to stretch my legs and eat.  

Being a ground hunter makes it easy for me to sneak to another spot that would be better for midday, then to another for the evening hunt.  I get rigor mortis  sitting in the same seat all day.