IGNORED

Jeep Brakes - am I getting royally screwed?

JHbowhunter

May 15 I finally took my 2011 Grand Cherokee in for an overdue recall -replace brake booster shield.  About 3 months prior, I had completely new brake job (all 4) pads and rotors done by a local mechanic I trust.

When I drove to Jeep for the recall service - breaks were still acting brand new now issues. 

When I got jeep home, my driver side rear was practically on fire.  Brake was sticking, squealing etc. I don't drive it often - but I figured something had to loosen up.  It was not getting better, I took it back today.

Caliper locked up and trashed the new pad and slightly damaged rotor.  

Coincidence?  Now I am faced with at least another $500.  I argued with them saying that is one helluva coincidence!!!

I can just replace the one caliper and new pads both sides and try to run with existing rotors but they may "vibrate" they say. 

Or I can just do full new brake jobs on rear and new calipers both sides and break flush and refill for $750... Hell I spent 850 on the total brake job recently! (but did not replace calipers of course)

The service manager explained to me over and over again as I was steaming (like my burning brake), that what they did had nothing to do with that caliper sticking... 

Again - one helluva coincidence???

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Ask if they warrant their work.  Explain that you had brake work done, everything was fine, they worked on the brakes and now they are a mess.  Their work created this issue, and if they are a decent business, they'll honor that and do you right gratis.  That's what I'd be telling them they're going to do for me.  I have a HUGE problem paying twice for the same work.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Just now, Haskell_Hunter said:

Ask if they warrant their work.  Explain that you had brake work done, everything was fine, they worked on the brakes and now they are a mess.  Their work created this issue, and if they are a decent business, they'll honor that and do you right gratis.  That's what I'd be telling them they're going to do for me.  I have a HUGE problem paying twice for the same work.

Jeep didn't do my recent brake job - they just replaced  brake booster shield.  They said if they somehow messed that up all 4 brakes would be impacted.  They aint' paying for shit although they did heavily discount the repair work I am about to bend over and take up the pooper. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

Just now, JHbowhunter said:

Jeep didn't do my recent brake job - they just replaced  brake booster shield.  They said if they somehow messed that up all 4 brakes would be impacted.  They aint' paying for shit although they did heavily discount the repair work I am about to bend over and take up the pooper. 

Then I would let them know this is the last time they're going to see your money.  Ask them if they think that's worth it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

sounds like your getting hosed.. I would fined a good mechanic and get his opinion, have had this happen to me while fixing my wifes transmission on her town and country  they had to lower the axel i believe and broke a part off and said it was my fault because it was coroded in place and was about $800 t0 fix had them put it back best they could and had a friend fix it because they refused to back there work. in the end it cost less than $100 for part and he said  they broke it beating on it trying to get it in place.

Summarize 2011 Jeep Overdo Recall - Out of Network Repair Dealer did Recall replacement.  3 months since original Repairs. What is the out of Network warranty that is your recourse? Not the Dealer.  but pursue the issue with the dealer who was the last to work on the Brakes. That is if you Bought the jeep there in the Beginning NEW.  Good luck wear them Down.   

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

don't know if it helps but the last time i had an issue i called chryslers corporate office for me it actually helped my vehicle was in the shop and the part was going to be a month getting to them and they give me a little compact piece of crap to drive till fixed when i have a town and country loaded and a 6 year old that expects  his TV when going long distance and then was going to charge me if i went over so many miles  think like 500 miles for the month and we had to go out of state for family things so I called chrysler corporate number and explained this lady was shocked said thats not going to work LOL next afternoon we get a call to come pick up our town and country..:rofl:

Edited by buckhound

Rear brake caliper, not daily driven -- could easily be corroded and frozen in place -- was the last time you drove it in the snow and ice? 

$500 plus is a little steep -- less than $200 in parts if you get away from dealer prices -- and thats for both sides

Go on Rockauto.com and enter your jeep info and check on the prices of rear brake parts -- you'll really be upset at the $500 then

As if I wasn’t stressed out enough - just spilled hot coffee on my lap and laptop - it made a sizzling  noise and shut down immediately.  It won’t come back on.  So now I can’t work and probably need a new laptop. It’s looking more like a $1500 day now. Can’t make this shit up. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

Spoke to my mechanic who did original brake job. Said it’s pure coincidence replacing brake booster shield would not cause a caliper to lock up. I probably should not have kept driving it once I smelled the burning brake pad. My own stupidity just like spilling coffee on my laptop.  $$$$$$Ka-Ching $$$$

I shot a big 10pt once….

My sister just had her brake line replaced from front to rear because of corrosion.  When she drove it home the caliper froze ands started smoking.  She had it towed back and complained and they fixed it for free.  What dealer?  She went to deichmanin Flemington.