IGNORED

End of 2018 Shad fishing

Headed out with Tracey , and Eddie today for more than likely the last shad trip of the year.

Unreal amount of fish in the River above the gap.

Looked to be just miles of spawning fish , along with quite a few floaters .

Looked more like bunker lined up finning on top than the typical shad staying down near the bottom.

Was still able to catch some solid fish , boating just under 40 in a few hours of fishing.

But only half those fought as hard as normal.

Tracey and I also each had a catfish on a pink and white dart.

Eddie had the big fish of the day with about a 34" Stickerel ., which fought hard in the faster current we were fishing .

6-3-2.jpg

6-3-3.jpg

6-3-7.jpg

6-3-5.jpg

6-3-9.jpg

6-3-6.jpg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, LPJR said:

Great pics. Hard to believe cats chasing shad darts, pretty cool. 

The cats were mixed in with thousands of shad, thinking that maybe they thought they were eggs dropping ..

Could stand on the deck of the and see fish head to tail for miles wearing the Polarized glasses

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

that's one helluva nice stick!   Yeah you are seeing stacked spawning shad... The river changes rapidly as you get deeper into May and early June.  Catfish bite on bait peaks around mid May to the 20th  but is excellent April through mid-May. .   Then that gets weird. Shad spawn can start as early as late April, but mainly starts building speed Mid May through late may but by late May early June - it's rampant throughout the river.   Once I start catching soft fish that don't fight, I am done usually. I actually didn't get any of those this year but am done none the less and your report confirms it. It was a good run but strange run compared to years past. The weather was very squirrely this spring.  Glad you got to enjoy the new boat before you switch over to the Salt Life....

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

That switch will be ready  this week.

Changed out the zincs, lower unit oil , as well as oil in both engines after uncovering the Contender Saturday .

Now just hope for good weather next weekend so can drop her in..

Hoping to get a quick coat of wax on this week , at least the hull, can finish it in the water topside.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Looks like a great day. The lower Musky once again saw a strong shad run. That’s two consecutive years and guarantees returning shad in a couple of short years.

With the Columbia Lake dam removal later this year, NJ will have two major tributaries with annual shad runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Looks like a great day. The lower Musky once again saw a strong shad run. That’s two consecutive years and guarantees returning shad in a couple of short years.

With the Columbia Lake dam removal later this year, NJ will have two major tributaries with annual shad runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only imagine how much forage these runs adds to each river systems food chain.

The amount of fry going down the river  each fall has to be insane, as the amount of adults we are seeing is pretty hard to believe .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING