IGNORED

Shotgun help needed.

Faster

I have a 20ga Smith and Wesson model 916a that isn't working properly. The shells do not stay in the magazine unless the pump is all the way back. Ive heard these guns kind of suck, but id at least like it to work. Anyone have any recommendations on where to take it? Thanks.

I have a 12 ga 916t that has been a basket case for years. The problem I had was the shells would fall out on the ground instead of being lifted into the chamber.  I found the spring on the lifter paddle was weak and needed to be replaced. The design of the lifter is really poor. It only has a pivot point on one side and that is a real small special screw.  The screw is a flathead slotted shoulder screw with a left hand thread, I think it is a 3-56 pitch. When I originally took it apart I didn't realize it was a LH thread so I stripped in in the soft die cast trigger housing. I couldn't find a Heli-Coil for that thread so I made my own insert to fix it. That worked for a while. Finally I found a CNC aircraft grade aluminum trigger housing on Numrich.  However it didn't fit exactly right I had to do some filing to get it in. I never got it to work again. Now the problem is it loads the shells (dummy) ok, but it doesn't cock the hammer for the second shell. I think I lost a small part that is causing this issue. I have the schematic, but I cannot tell from it. The receiver and barrels have been standing in the corner next to my safe and the trigger housing parts are in a shoe box in a closet  for years.

I think your problem my also have to do with the lifter paddle. If you monkey with it remember that pivot screw for the lifter is a left hand thread. It is also not straight forward to remove the trigger housing from the receiver. If you are going to try that PM me and I will explain it

Bottom line it is a crappy gun. Very heavy do to the steel receiver. Mine, however , shot Brenneke slugs very accurately out of the 20" slug barrel.  That's why I have some interest in getting it operational. The receiver and barrels have been standing in the corner next to my safe and the trigger housing parts are in a shoe box in a closet  for years. Some guy on the old site was trying to sell one a few years ago. I made a lo-ball offer because I wanted to just take his trigger housing and put it in my gun.  This guy was obviously trying to make a profit because he wouldn't budge on the price.

I have a history with this gun. There was a proof testing recall that on the 12ga 916T (interchangeable barrels) back in the 1970's when it was first manufactured.  I don't know if it applied to the 20GA or to any fixed barrel models. The company I worked for at the time was a lathe manufacturer that sold S&W two tracer lathes to turn the barrel OD on these guns. The recall was a result of a wrong setting on the lathe. (I could go into detail, but only machinists and engineers would understand what I am talking about.) On the 916T models the barrels must be stamped with an "O" near the receiver end if safe. 

Its your shell stop, either bent, worn, or installed wrong.  Its a flat metal piece that has a slight curve to it with a tab at the end .  When you slide the action back it gets pressed into a recess allowing the tab at the end to move out of the way releasing the next shell in the tube.  Then it pops back into place to stop the next shell.  I googled it to see how hard the part is to find and saw some on ebay.  This is what the piece looks like.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-Model-916A-Shotgun-Cartridge-Cut-Off-12-Gauge/183245991096?hash=item2aaa4fecb8:g:~XQAAOSwTM5YvOYo  Your may just need to have a little bend put back into it.

wow, thanks for the info guys. I'm not looking to put too much into this gun, but would like to see it working. The more I read about them, the worse they are sounding haha. I only paid $115 for it, assuming it worked, but I didn't have any shells near by to see if it would cycle. I just thought it would be a nice extra gun to have around. 

21 hours ago, Faster said:

wow, thanks for the info guys. I'm not looking to put too much into this gun, but would like to see it working. The more I read about them, the worse they are sounding haha. I only paid $115 for it, assuming it worked, but I didn't have any shells near by to see if it would cycle. I just thought it would be a nice extra gun to have around. 

Like Beverman posted for $6. it is fixed or again as he said just Bend- pry it some to expand it.  Or just put some Gun Solvent might just be gummed up most likely.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

10 hours ago, 230jhp said:

Then it's the shell stop as someone said

Yes. they can get Fouled and stuck with Crud from Carbon even unburnt powder God forbid Corrosion. check if it even moves DO NOT OVER BEND just dislodge it some. Post what you found 99 % of members never bother.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif