IGNORED

Who cures their own bacon here?

madeinuk

Yes bacon, Canadian bacon and pancetta. I have to order the pork bellies as no one near me has them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

I had in the past, but it's just too much work and cleanup for me these days, and we don't eat enough to justify the results. I also made beef bacon. Plus the slaughterhouse near me stopped selling directly to me, I have to go through a market or butcher shop if I want to buy pork bellies now.

And yes, 10X better than anything you will buy in the supermarket.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Costco has pork bellies, matter of fact, the owner of that large butcher shop in Union was in front of me in line and had 10 bellies in his cart. He said they have the best pork bellies around. Would love to get into it myself. It may be a lot of work, but when you compare the price raw to good smoked bacon at 3 times the price, I'm sure it's worth the effort.

Was going to say Costco as well.

Also, Asian markets have them but you need to trim them yourself.

Phillipsburg Shoprite has a bunch of friendly folk working in their meat department - I have bought them from here too.  They will also special order for you.

Edited by madeinuk
Autospeller autospazzed

Me?

I only have an old school offset firebox smoker - if I want to cold smoke I have to do it in the middle of winter LOL

I cure my bacon and then hot smoke for the flavour.

One day I'll build a real smokehouse...

I have seen some crazy cold smokers being used ranging from hooks up chimneys, old fridges and even a Rube Goldberg contraption involving a metal garbage can containing an electric hot plate ( for wood chips placed in an old saucepan) connected to another metal garbage can (the smoking chamber) via flexible ducting and using and old computer fan to move the smoke through the ducting.

Edited by madeinuk

I have heard the tube smoker works well also for 2-3 hr cold smokes also. My buddy also uses it when he grills steaks. He seasons them and lets them come to room temp on the grill while he lights the tube smoker.