Kype

canoe skid protection?

has anyone ever did there own skid protection on a canoe or kayak? my old town is getting some pretty bad scratches on the bottom and to prevent further damage I was thinking of doing my own skid plate. old town sells a kit but its $300! its Kevlar and epoxy. 

how would a strip about 6 inches wide of fiberglass mesh and epoxy work? or will it peel up after a few bumps? I'm thinking if I take my time with the prep work and make sure everything is really clean, then ruff up the surface with some sand paper it would hold together. but I'm not sure. anyone ever try this? 

• Like 1

You tube kayak repair. You can find the right type of bucket (the videos will explain), cut a piece out of it, and with a heat gun you can weld it to your kayak. Same process for repairing holes and cracks. 

• Like 1

I did mine a couple of years ago with the Old Town kit. I think it was around $80 at the time. Its holding up great.

005.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

• Like 1

is that Kevlar? looks good. I want to do the same. but may just go with the fiberglass. if it doesn't last then I learned something. 

i did mine with fiberglass and i get a few years out of it but i drag it alot   threw the woods and over rocks