IGNORED

Mt. Washington, New Hampshire

Nomad

Taxidermist just called.  Our moose mount is ready up in Berlin, N.H., from our 2017 fall Maine moose hunt!

Going up early Saturday to pick it up, so I was thinking about what else we could do while we were up there.

Was thinking about taking that Cog Railway train up to the top of Mt. Washington or maybe hiking up the mountain.

Anyone ever been there?  Any tips, or suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited by Nomad

Many, many years ago we too a bunch of Boy Scouts and hiked up.  It was 5 hours to get to the top and 3 hours to come down.  Sunny on the bottom with sleet and horrible conditions as we neared the summit.

Take the cog or drive up.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

3 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

Many, many years ago we too a bunch of Boy Scouts and hiked up.  It was 5 hours to get to the top and 3 hours to come down.  Sunny on the bottom with sleet and horrible conditions as we neared the summit.

Take the cog or drive up.

Probably a good idea.  I would probably be a zombie driving home after that hike. lol

You wouldn't necessarily be a zombie but you will be hurting.

Consider that when going up you are never on level ground so you are lifting your body weight with each step, then on the decent you are putting a foot out and down and holding your weight back for balance.

5 hours up and 3 down...... so,  if you are not in shape like out group wasn't then you will have really soar feet, ankles, calf and thigh muscles not to mention your hips.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Drove up a few years ago definitely take a hoodie or coat for the top.

theres a nice diner across the highway from the mountain has a great view it from the parking lot for a good picture.

are you staying over night? If so you can look for bear and moose in the evening.

small mouth fish in one of the streams or lakes 

so many things so little time 

Ive hiked up it. Terrific experience if you’re in shape.  Make a reservation in the hut at the top - lake of clouds I believe.  Enjoy the night.  Dress for all different climates.  Truly an experience!

"God bless America and the 2nd Amendment!" 

www.NorthJerseyMike.com

UBNJ Member

OLM Knights of Columbus, Kinnelon, NJ