electric10162

Log Splitter Reviews Wanted

Looking for a gas log splitter. Horizontal/Vertical a must. Neighbor cut down three big oak trees. Looking for something that will last.

• Like 1

I am using all day today  troy-bilt 27 ton splitter with a Honda motor on it. Its a company splitter used by many through the last 5 years or so. Indestructible, reliable and with enough power to split any wood.
It is horizontal/vertical but I never used it in upright position. ( we should hide this thread from Rusty:-)

BC22B652-E679-45AD-B76E-D2DB4622E767.jpeg

79C123DB-6AAC-4091-B4A0-990637536624.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 3

Go to log splitter direct pick one in your price range and need I have a yard max 28 ton with a 4 way wedge  you can't beat them yust sold a  the 35  ton that was posted a weeks  ago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I am using all day today  troy-bilt 27 ton splitter with a Honda motor on it. Its a company splitter used by many through the last 5 years or so. Indestructible, reliable and with enough power to split any wood.
It is horizontal/vertical but I never used it in upright position. ( we should hide this thread from Rusty:-)

BC22B652-E679-45AD-B76E-D2DB4622E767.jpeg

79C123DB-6AAC-4091-B4A0-990637536624.jpeg

Rusty may very well ban Looney and Electric after this post :rofl:................then he will post a pic of his maul(s) ....Looney those are huge pieces, I assume you have a large stove or fireplace....

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Rusty may very well ban Looney and Electric after this post :rofl:................then he will post a pic of his maul(s) ....Looney those are huge pieces, I assume you have a large stove or fireplace....

Rusty is welcome to come over and show me how its done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LPJR said:

No they are not that big and my stove is relatively small, The stove inside is only 19".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

To me its a time factor.
I love splitting wood by hand but it take too much time. What I did today would take me weeks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

To me its a time factor.
I love splitting wood by hand but it take too much time. What I did today would take me weeks.

This is true only if it is not Buck154, Rusty, or Nomad splitting wood by hand. This trio will give any mechanical splitter a run for it's money. Just depends on who or which runs out of gas first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best splitter I've ever owned.   Just ask Jack or Lou how sweet this bad boy is.  

log splitter.jpg

Edited by Rusty
  • Winner 1

2 hours ago, electric10162 said:

If you're north of 80 host a wood cutting day at your place.  Tell HH that he can have a truck load of wood if he brings home-brew.  If he brings it they will come.  

25 minutes ago, LPJR said:

This is true only if it is not Buck154, Rusty, or Nomad splitting wood by hand. This trio will give any mechanical splitter a run for it's money. Just depends on who or which runs out of gas first. 

I am sure they can do it, I can too. but no single man, I don't care who it is, can compete with a splitter. 3 of them against one splitter could win on wood that splits easy. 
Anyway splitting wood is great exercise.  I started last weekend and I was at it for most of the week after work. Unfortunately, I am scheduled for elbow surgery on May 10th so if I didn't get it done by then I would have to look at the pile of wood in my way for several months. This way I am done and happy about it. Even with a log splitter, handling this much wood in one single day kicked my ass but it feels good.

Took care of this pile in 4 hrs.

167397875.gixdKN3q.jpg

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Best splitter I've ever owned.   Just ask Jack or Lou how sweet this bad boy is.  

log splitter.jpg

How heavy? It does not look very heavy. I split wood with 8lber but most of what I split is very twisted oak. That's the way it grows in my area.

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

To me its a time factor.

For me splitting is about the exercise and fresh air.  I spend a few hours each week cutting and splitting, year-round, I don't want to "get it done".  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

How heavy? It does not look very heavy. I split wood with 8lber but most of what I split is very twisted oak. That's the way it grows in my area.

I have 4s, 6s, and 8s.  My favorite is a 6 with a thin blade and a hickory handle.  I use the 8 on logs with really nasty nots.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

I have 4s, 6s, and 8s.  My favorite is a 6 with a thin blade and a hickory handle.  I use the 8 on logs with really nasty nots.   

6 lber is perfect for wood that is straight and splits easy. I keep swinging the 8 all the time