IGNORED

Problem With My Turkey Shotgun

BHC

So last year I replaced the rear sight, sighted it in hunted three times with it for spring turkey, cleaned it, zero issues. This morning I travel just over one hour to my spot, get dressed and ready for the walk in and I placed a round in the chamber no problem, I then go and place a round in the magazine, it seems the diameter of the shell is to big for the magazine or the magazine's diameter is too small....Strange!!!  Not sure what the issue is yet, and I sure didn't want to shoulder & fire a gun with a unknown issue. The shotgun is a 1187 Super Magnum 12ga, with the ShureShot Stock, the ammo is HeviShot Magnum Blend 3.5", been using this gun/ammo for about 5 or 6 years without a problem. Look at the slits on the shells

Resized_20180428_063940_1057.jpeg

Edited by BHC

You most likely have a displaced shell latch.  They are supposed to be staked in place and sometimes they come loose.  If it comes loose and moves a bit the tip that protrudes will often sit too far out hitting the shell as you load/unload and marking your shells as shown in the picture.  Pulling the gun apart to replace the o-ring may have been enough to have it go back into place.  I would pull the trigger assembly and see if the latch is in place properly.

9 minutes ago, beaverman said:

You most likely have a displaced shell latch.  They are supposed to be staked in place and sometimes they come loose.  If it comes loose and moves a bit the tip that protrudes will often sit too far out hitting the shell as you load/unload and marking your shells as shown in the picture.  Pulling the gun apart to replace the o-ring may have been enough to have it go back into place.  I would pull the trigger assembly and see if the latch is in place properly.

I would not have thought that the O ring would effect that so much but I'm glad you easily got it fixed. 

1 hour ago, BHC said:

So last year I replaced the rear sight, sighted it in hunted three times with it for spring turkey, cleaned it, zero issues. This morning I travel just over one hour to my spot, get dressed and ready for the walk in and I placed a round in the chamber no problem, I then go and place a round in the magazine, it seems the diameter of the shell is to big for the magazine or the magazine's diameter is too small....Strange!!!  Not sure what the issue is yet, and I sure didn't want to shoulder & fire a gun with a unknown issue. The shotgun is a 1187 Super Magnum 12ga, with the ShureShot Stock, the ammo is HeviShot Magnum Blend 3.5", been using this gun/ammo for about 5 or 6 years without a problem. Look at the slits on the shells

Resized_20180428_063940_1057.jpeg

Man, they must kick like a Mule! LOL  I just bought some 3.5" Hevi-shot Dead Coyote for deer hunting. Will pattern them before the season opens.

17 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Ouch! At least I am using a gas operated semi-auto. That will take a tiny edge off it. LOL

yes by a hair

Many years ago I purchased my first 1187 12ga this was the SPS Deer, while sighting it in I had a very similar situation, I went to a plumbing supply shop and got the "O" ring and the problem was solved.... This morning even with a flashlight I didn't noticed the "O" ring was almost fully sliced, and I didn't have a spare ring with me.....Oh well shit happens , problem solved

1 minute ago, BHC said:

yes by a hair

Many years ago I purchased my first 1187 12ga this was the SPS Deer, while sighting it in I had a very similar situation, I went to a plumbing supply shop and got the "O" ring and the problem was solved.... This morning even with a flashlight I didn't noticed the "O" ring was almost fully sliced, and I didn't have a spare ring with me.....Oh well shit happens , problem solved

Yeah, it's amazing how a cheap piece of rubber can shut you down. I got to get in the habit of checking mine. I have a 1187 Slug Gun and an 1187 Super Mag. 

:popcorn: Plumbing Supply O-Ring  :shakehead:  Whos to say the Material of that is the same as what the Gun manufacturer installed.  When there are rings for Fuel Exposure- Heat Exposure  Solvents. My 1100 O-Ring was replaced every 1000 Rounds while skeet shooting Failure was not an option during competition.  I also had 2 on standby.   They Harden after time. also, keep the gas ports clear.I carried a drill bit just undersized for that.  After a 500 round 4 gun shoot that 1100 was always torn down for cleaning. How many just store theirs away after a hunt after most likely Harsh conditions Rain- Dust- Gunpowder Fouling.  When one shot is so important why not Take Care of that firearm Spend that Buck for the proper O-Ring.               There was a post ( who Cleans Your Fier Arms not long ago :banghead:   It Should be YOU.  I trust No One to do a simple task that can be done wrong.  What happened to PRIDE. :hmmmer:   As far as Any Shotgun Shells Swelling Today. :cupcoffee: I take that back After reading the care of this Ammo it says to Keep Dry Wipe off any Moisture and Do not store in damp areas :eek:   That was 60 years ago that I saw that on The paper Sheels.  

747719.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

22 minutes ago, BHC said:

When the first "O" ring went in my first 1187 I called Remington and they said 2 weeks to get it, but they did say to use a "O" ring from a plumbing supply shop

As a temporary fast fix for them to say that is liable. Any of these and many more are available for Next day delivery maybe even same day.   And They are Graphite Coated and treated. There are so many suppliers that no need to call Remington.    good luck  

61xd0VVhjuL._SL1024_.jpg

81MzaMFM79L._SL1500_.jpg

A1Bq06-wdXL._SL1500_.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif