IGNORED

Public Land scouting

Mossy6737

Hi guys, I'm a new turkey hunter and hoping to get some advice from you veterans. I was out on Sunday scouting a piece of public land in Zone 9 that I plan to hunt on Saturday. What are you guys looking for on new property or new lands when you are scouting besides obvious turkey sign like scratches and droppings? I was seeing a lot of real thick underbrush and didnt think that this was conducive to turkey habitat. It just wasnt very clear (visibility wise)  and such an effort to hike through. So my question is, am I right by assuming that what i am looking for should be more open timber, with less underbrush? Also, should I be concentrating my efforts looking for turkey sign closer to water such as brooks, creeks, and drainages? 

Also, is it a ridiculous idea to post up closer to an access trail (thinking it might be a choke point) or am I just guaranteed to be tripping over other hunters if I do this?

I've been reading a lot of the forum topics and cant tell you how much I've already learned from everyone on here's experiences. Thanks for the advice and good luck this season. 

in my experience using a locator call like a crow call should help in finding out generally where the birds are.  Once you have a general idea,  but not exactly sure where they are roosting, use a topo map..look for ridges, often they will roost partially up a ridge, preferably near water, often in pines or mature oaks. That should give you a better idea of where to look on foot, check it out shortly before sundown but from a safe distance if possible.  if all goes well you will find where they are roosting.  

Go the last hour of light and listen for them to fly up to roost.  They tend to be quite noisy.

Also, as others have said.  Go listen before first light and you will hear them gobbling from the roost.  

Best of luck Mossy, keep us posted on how you make out.  :up: