IGNORED

Mowing clover? Brush hog?

Last year I stressed my clover plot by mowing with a garden tractor which mower did not raise over 5" tall..

I plan to sell it soon and buy something that will mow 8" deep.

I'm finding used tractors with brush hogs attached. Would a brush hog work or do I need a finish mower?

To most two behind mowers raise to 8"?

Not sure if I want a tractor or a towable mower for the atv...

I might sell my ATV and my tractor and put the money together for 1 better piece of machinery.

Been looking for used stuff to pop up locally.

If anyone knows of any deals that might work for my situation please let me know- north jersey.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use my bush hog all the time to mow my clover. I also have a flail mower which does a good job too. 

I like the bush hog, as it also helps big around the farm   

The jungle is constantly trying to take over

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Brush hog / rough cut mower  is perfect. No need for a finish mower.  Do you think you stressed it by maybe mowing it in the heat of the summer during a hot dry spell?  Did it bounce back in the early fall? 
My last mowing was in Aug. It wilted and the grass started to take over so I sprayed the plot with herbicides. A few weeks almost later everything was yellow. Nothing all fall.

Now the clovers are spouting. I will frost seed as soon as my snow melts, then if needed I will spray again this spring. Hopefully I won't need to use chemicals, but if I don't have a brush hog by then I'll probably spray.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If your clover is not being overbroused just mow it enough to keep it from “crowning”. If you go to short, its not the end of the world the deer like the new growth. When you do bush hog it , stay away from hot, dry days. 

Edited by Swampbuck

I use a tractor mounted bushhog as a mower all the time on my property.  It does a fine job  as long as I take the time to touch up the blades.  I use an angle  grinder to put an edge on and have been using the same setup for 15 years.  The unit is fairly heavy duty and has the ability to cut through small saplings, which is a huge bonus.   

I actually use a beveled edge  on the blade because the single edge gets dulled and nicked up relatively quickly.  If I under cut the long bevel by grinding  a short, high angle bevel on the bottom side of the blade, they stays sharper a lot longer because the edge is much stronger and just a hair away from the bottom of the blade.   

RayG

Edited by birddogger