IGNORED

First Time Rod Repair

Kayak Ken

23 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

You did well the rod in that area has little to no bend Good Luck Save it  Flex Coat is for the rod finishes not Joining  Codaboy could use it if U have no use fir it

Thats not correct. He used flex coat epoxy not flex coat rod  finish. They are totally different animals. I would have used a paste epoxy but what he used will work fine.

I do agree that the repair will not likely hold up but you never know.

I dont know where you live but I am in monmouth cty and I can fix that. I will gladly do it for free if you wish.

Edited by mikejd

Take it off. Run a lighter under the epoxy back and forth while spinning it with your fingers. Once the epoxy is warm (but be careful to much heat and your in trouble. Run a razor down the guide foot keeping the blade over the metal of the foot only. Then get your fingernail in the slice and peel the old epoxy away. Once you get it going all the old thread will unravel. Clean the rough stuff up with your nail and your finished.

17 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I can't help you on the rod repair, but I can help you out in a much better way..
You have been shorting yourself your whole life if you think that's 3"! Lol
That's 6" if I ever saw it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Coming from a guy who charges by the inch.

Edited by mikejd

14 hours ago, mikejd said:

Thats not correct. He used flex coat epoxy not flex coat rod  finish. They are totally different animals. I would have used a paste epoxy but what he used will work fine.

I do agree that the repair will not likely hold up but you never know.

I dont know where you live but I am in monmouth cty and I can fix that. I will gladly do it for free if you wish.

Flex Seal Finish or Epoxy, not much difference but for viscosity Rod Builders all have different methods and uses for each.  I used the Epoxy at the guides before and after the wrapping Than the finish on the entire Rod.  To each their own.

There is no way any repair end to end would ever work without an In or outside Spline  Glued inside than out.  

I guess the offer to fix for free is aimed at MikeJD Nice offer. I to am in Monmouth County if you ever want to  :fishing:   Hookup. I do Fresh and Salt. Or:fudd:some shooting Rim Fire only for me Lakewood and Dix    Bill

All my Rod Building equipment I gave away free to a Member Codaboy who has been turning out some Great Work. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

22 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

Flex Seal Finish or Epoxy, not much difference but for viscosity Rod Builders all have different methods and uses for each.  I used the Epoxy at the guides before and after the wrapping Than the finish on the entire Rod.  To each their own.

There is no way any repair end to end would ever work without an In or outside Spline  Glued inside than out.  

I guess the offer to fix for free is aimed at MikeJD Nice offer. I to am in Monmouth County if you ever want to  :fishing:   Hookup. I do Fresh and Salt. Or:fudd:some shooting Rim Fire only for me Lakewood and Dix    Bill

All my Rod Building equipment I gave away free to a Member Codaboy who has been turning out some Great Work. 

Thank you for your advice. I may see you at the Sporting Show you posted tomorrow if I can get the kids out of bed in time. 

On 3/22/2018 at 8:07 PM, 1957Buck said:

Sorry, but it will only break at the same point or next to the Epoxy. Next time insert a wire inside the Rod with some of the epoxies as a Brace like minimum  2 inches each way close to the same size as the inside dia. or the rod. 

Or just shorten the rod with a new tip.      

Your welcome ;)

26 minutes ago, kenny10177 said:

Thank you for your advice. I may see you at the Sporting Show you posted tomorrow if I can get the kids out of bed in time. 

Sadly stuck in the house Recovering from that Cataract Surgery until Tuesday. How old are your Kids any Opening day trout plans? I will be taking my Grandsons Locally. 10-11 YO   

Take it off. Run a lighter under the epoxy back and forth while spinning it with your fingers. Once the epoxy is warm (but be careful to much heat and your in trouble. Run a razor down the guide foot keeping the blade over the metal of the foot only. Then get your fingernail in the slice and peel the old epoxy away. Once you get it going all the old thread will unravel. Clean the rough stuff up with your nail and your finished.
Excellent advise

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk