IGNORED

First Time Rod Repair

Kayak Ken

On Christmas I got my daughter a new Penn Fierce II Combo that she has yet to use. Well the other day I knocked it over without noticing and shut the garage door on it breaking off the last 3 inches.  This is how I repaired it. I sanded down both ends of the rod and then I cut and sanded down a wooden toothpick. I inserted the toothpick with Flex Coat Rod Builders Epoxy. After a few minutes I then wrapped the rod in 20lb braid and then coated it in Epoxy.  I continued to rotated the rod every 10 minutes for an hour. The Epoxy appears to be drying evenly and I will update you tomorrow on the final product.   

20180318_224745.jpg

20180322_154821.jpg

20180322_185101.jpg

20180322_185138.jpg

Sorry, but it will only break at the same point or next to the Epoxy. Next time insert a wire inside the Rod with some of the epoxies as a Brace like minimum  2 inches each way close to the same size as the inside dia. or the rod. 

Or just shorten the rod with a new tip.      

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

10 minutes ago, kenny10177 said:

It's only a 6'6" medium fast that will be used for crappie and bass in ponds so I hope it will last.

20 minutes ago, kenny10177 said:

Thanks. If it breaks I will just put a tip on it and shorten it. I figured that wire would wouldn't bend back into place. 

You did well the rod in that area has little to no bend Good Luck Save it  Flex Coat is for the rod finishes not Joining  Codaboy could use it if U have no use fir it

Edited by 1957Buck

A rod really has to flex evenly or it will just break again. 

I would suggest picking up an inexpensive rod , so it doesn't break while she is using it.

If your close  to here by Clinton I would give you one that would work great for bass and crappie

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

A rod really has to flex evenly or it will just break again. 

I would suggest picking up an inexpensive rod , so it doesn't break while she is using it.

If your close  to here by Clinton I would give you one that would work great for bass and crappie

Thank you I appreciate it. My hunting lease is in that area but I won't be there for a few months. I purchased a backup rod just in case this doesn't work, I just wanted to give it a shot before tossing it in the garbage. 

Been there and tried doing the same, even one inch off a rod and putting a new tip on it just drastically changes how the rod works.

SOMETIMES it is for the better, but most times it just makes it harder to cast and fish with it .

who knows, maybe you will get lucky . 

when it dries put  the line through it and lift something substantial with it 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Sorry, but it will only break at the same point or next to the Epoxy. Next time insert a wire inside the Rod with some of the epoxies as a Brace like minimum  2 inches each way close to the same size as the inside dia. or the rod. 

Or just shorten the rod with a new tip.      

Well you were right. The rod snapped. I just added a tip on the end and shortened it.

12 minutes ago, kenny10177 said:

Well you were right. The rod snapped. I just added a tip on the end and shortened it.

Sorry to hear that but for the best at home and not when the big one is on.  very very few would notice a shorter rod

Codaboys Turn 

Edited by 1957Buck

When my brother and I were young we broke quite few rods which didn't make our father too happy. haha  He would fix them the same way, but instead of the tooth pick he would use the shaft of a nail that fit snuggly into each side added a little glue and we were back in business. lol