IGNORED

Cedar and pine seedlings

Looking to buy cedar and pine seedlings.  Any suggestions on where to get locally  ( north jersey ).  Property used have some nice cedar thickets but there all but gone now . Been doing some hinge cutting the last few years and will be doing more this year and would like to plant some seedlings to help things along . Also what's better to plant red or white cedar ?  Thanks in advance .

Years ago I was able to get seedlings through the NJ State Forestry  or through the Farm Bureau  I dont remember but they came bare root they were maybe 10 cents a piece and some were 8-10 inches....spruce,  pine etc.  you had to own a few acres to be able to get them....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Russ 11 - I haven't for the past two years but for the prior several years I purchased seedlings through the NJ State Forestry for school arbor days.  I believe they were $25 per 100.  They were about 4-6 inches tall and came in tubes with some soil.  Hopefully the link below will get you there.  You might also want to check for local native plant suppliers.  I have purchased seedlings from Pinelands Nursery in Columbus Burlington County, but you'd have to call (609)291-9486.

Good luck,

Bob

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/nj_forest_nursery.htm

1 hour ago, Pucknut said:

Russ 11 - I haven't for the past two years but for the prior several years I purchased seedlings through the NJ State Forestry for school arbor days.  I believe they were $25 per 100.  They were about 4-6 inches tall and came in tubes with some soil.  Hopefully the link below will get you there.  You might also want to check for local native plant suppliers.  I have purchased seedlings from Pinelands Nursery in Columbus Burlington County, but you'd have to call (609)291-9486.

Good luck,

Bob

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/nj_forest_nursery.htm

Thats what I was referring too..

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Here's a related question...if you have neighbors stand pretty close to property border and on edge of your bedding....would you use red cedar to fill and block view to bedding?

Wondering if Cedars would make deer bed even closer or maybe plant them opposite side of bedding? Maybe Egyptian grass to cover bedding exit? Neighbors are setup to pick'em off coming out of bedding and its a spot I can't access without blowing it up.

Russ, you got my PMs, correct?  Go with their tubelings for real savings.  But expect some deer browse until they are tall enough to be over the browse line.  Norway spruce can be better because of the lack or greatly reduced browsing as they grow into bedding thickets or travel corridors.  

On 3/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, megavites said:

Here's a related question...if you have neighbors stand pretty close to property border and on edge of your bedding....would you use red cedar to fill and block view to bedding?

Wondering if Cedars would make deer bed even closer or maybe plant them opposite side of bedding? Maybe Egyptian grass to cover bedding exit? Neighbors are setup to pick'em off coming out of bedding and its a spot I can't access without blowing it up.

Deer will bed in cedars. It acts as thermal cover. Norway spruce however will grow faster for you then the cedars will.