Williemo

Is it Safe to Use Old Long Bow

My grandfather made his own longbows which I learned to shoot with as a kid. There are a few still in his basement that are close to 50 years old, most not even shot for the last 30 years.  The basement has decent, consistent humidity and temperatures.  Aside from replacing the string, are these still good to shoot after all this time?  My son shoots compounds but has always had an affinity for long bows.  Might be a nice birthday gift for him...unless it blows up! :doh2:   Any advice would be appreciated!

if the bow shows no signs of cracks or laminations splitting due to heat, they are probably good to go.  pay close attention to thearea of the fadeouts and limb tips.  shoot these bows with Dacron (b50) Flemish strings ONLY!  if a bow is built right and they are stored or taken care of properly, they should last a lifetime!  I shoot plenty of bows that are 50+ years old that are still great shooters!  post some pics if you can.

• Agree 1

More than likely,  but I would let a friend shoot them first.

I've shot 2 bows, a recurve and a long bow, that were my Dads from about circa50. The best is that I have both bows and a picture of my Dad shooting it in my Great Aunts backyard at that time.