IGNORED

How many miles on your Super Duty gasser?

Swamp_Yankee

Before I had kids I had a 7.3L Powerstroke that I put nearly 200K miles on.  I sold it to buy the wife a kiddie hauler and six years later the guy that bought it is still running it with 350K plus on the clock.  I'm back in the market for a truck again and as much as I'd love another Super Duty diesel, the ones I can afford are beat to death, rusty, etc...  The gas trucks are more in my price range, but I just can't shake the idea that a gas V8 can't go much more than 100K miles before it craps out, but I'm basing that off of my experience with older small block Chevys.  These days is it realistic to expect a gas V8 (the Ford 5.4L as an example) to make it to 200K assuming its reasonably well cared for?  On the other hand, even if I buy a truck with a little over 100K I won't be putting a lot of miles or really hard use on it.  I have a company vehicle for work, so this truck won't be a daily driver-I'll just be using it for picking up material, hay, etc... on weekends, hunting, fishing, and camping.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

If I were in the market for a super duty truck, I would try to find one with the 6.7 diesel. That engine is unbelievable, and will have the same longevity as a 7.3. I don’t think a gas super duty makes sense, if you want a gas engine I’d suggest a longbed f150. The super duty’s are really meant for heavy hauling/towing. If you just need the truck to pick up material, and for hunting fishing camping, I’m not really sure why exactly you’d want a 250

I just got a Dodge 2500 with the 6.7L V8 in it.  I easily expect it to hit 200K without any major problems.

I had a Dakota with 200K on it, and it was 19 years old.  It was just starting to go, eating oil and some other things going on with the engine.  I'm sure if I put another $4K into it, I'd still be driving it.  But I figured it was time for a new truck and got the 2500.

I got the mega cab because of the family.  Huge amount of space in the cab, and the bed has a cover for luggage and other stuff.

The 2500 with a diesel was another $9K, and that was too rich for my blood.  I didn't need it because I'm not going to be hauling 13K# worth of stuff.  The gas engine will be just fine, and it hauls just as much.  But plan on your milage being around 10-12 MPG without a load.  Diesel is around 20-22 MPG without a load.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I just got a Dodge 2500 with the 6.7L V8 in it.  I easily expect it to hit 200K without any major problems.

I had a Dakota with 200K on it, and it was 19 years old.  It was just starting to go, eating oil and some other things going on with the engine.  I'm sure if I put another $4K into it, I'd still be driving it.  But I figured it was time for a new truck and got the 2500.

I got the mega cab because of the family.  Huge amount of space in the cab, and the bed has a cover for luggage and other stuff.

The 2500 with a diesel was another $9K, and that was too rich for my blood.  I didn't need it because I'm not going to be hauling 13K# worth of stuff.  The gas engine will be just fine, and it hauls just as much.  But plan on your milage being around 10-12 MPG without a load.  Diesel is around 20-22 MPG without a load.

You mean 6.4 v8 ?? The 6.7 is an I6 diesel

I've got an '04 f150 with the 5.4L.  Have 193,000 miles on it with the basic maintenance.  I even made it through the plug and coil pack switch out.  Consumes very little oil.  I've researched an upgrade, but can't justify spending so much when it's running so well.

I've got an '04 f150 with the 5.4L.  Have 193,000 miles on it with the basic maintenance.  I even made it through the plug and coil pack switch out.  Consumes very little oil.  I've researched an upgrade, but can't justify spending so much when it's running so well.

I agree the trucks today are outrages in price.....I was thinking about trading/selling my 2010 Tundra CrewMax  this time last year, I wanted to go back to a Tacoma, for about $36,000 or more that way too much, plus my Tundra at this time has just around 49,000 miles....maybe when I retire