IGNORED

Dehydrator Cooking Advice Needed

buckfever1974

I got a dehydrator for Christmas and I have ground venison I have blended with Hogh Mountain seasoning. Do you have any recommendations on temp settings and run times. I appreciate any help. I will be using the jerky gun I will be using as well.

Meat at 160, which should be your max setting. WHen I dry jerky I takes about 4.5 hrs but I would think ground meat would take less. Just keep checking and don't let it dry to a point its like wood. Also, if you didn't use cure you want to have it on well done side to make sure you don't get sick.

Edited by Lunatic

There are a lot of variables here. What is the highest setting for your dehydrator? How good is your dehydrator? My first dehydrator was cheap and inefficient compared to my present ones. Most have settings of 155-160, but they actually do not reach that temp. I would cook it at 160 if possible and then it will be a waiting and checking game to reach your desired dryness. Good luck.

There are a lot of variables here. What is the highest setting for your dehydrator? How good is your dehydrator? My first dehydrator was cheap and inefficient compared to my present ones. Most have settings of 155-160, but they actually do not reach that temp. I would cook it at 160 if possible and then it will be a waiting and checking game to reach your desired dryness. Good luck.

Rocky, I know you use cure, Which one do you use and where do you get it. I will have to look on line since I could not find it anymore in local stores

Rocky, I know you use cure, Which one do you use and where do you get it. I will have to look on line since I could not find it anymore in local stores

I use High Mountain Jerky seasonings. They come with a bag of seasoning and a bag of cure in each box. I always use more seasoning than what they call for pound for pound in the directions, and only use the recommended cure amount which leaves me with plenty of left over cure so I never had to buy cure separately. Lem probably would be your best bet. 

I use High Mountain Jerky seasonings. They come with a bag of seasoning and a bag of cure in each box. I always use more seasoning than what they call for pound for pound in the directions, and only use the recommended cure amount which leaves me with plenty of left over cure so I never had to buy cure separately. Lem probably would be your best bet. 

thanks

The jerky guns are messy. Used one once and threw it away. Cut pieces of meat give a much better texture and taste in my opinion. Follow the directions that came with you machine and go off of that as a baseline

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Meat at 160, which should be your max setting. WHen I dry jerky I takes about 4.5 hrs but I would think ground meat would take less. Just keep checking and don't let it dry to a point its like wood. Also, if you didn't use cure you want to have it on well done side to make sure you don't get sick.

Ditto.  

I was using hi mountain as well. I recently switched to back woods seasoning using ground meat. Ny dehydrator does not have settings. I use the cure and as was said use more seasoning than called for. I dry for 3.5 hours. Gives it a good texture and not to tough. If u want it tougher anther half hour.