Lady Bird

Key West Fishing

Going to Key West June 29-July 7.  Looking for info, any good spots to fish from the bridges/docks etc.  Also looking for a day charter, 4-6 people.  Thanks

Donna

• Agree 4

not sure there are any good spots right in key west to fish on your own - but there are no shortage of guides anywhere in the keys. I recommend searching for Key west guides/fishing charters on trip advisor, you will get all the "real reviews".  DIY fishing, plenty up in Bahia Honda park which is north of KW. 

Wow what a great trip, the Keys are beautiful.  You're gonna have a blast.  

I don't have any useful info to give but take lots of pictures and share them with us.   :up:  :up:  

• Agree 1

My guide down there is now retired, but it is fairly easy and reliable these days to Google guides and look at some comments about them on forums like this for the real story.  That market is very competitive, and bad guides don't stay in the Keys for long.  Sounds like fun!  BTW, the old Route 1 bridge that remains has many locations you can fish off it where it parallels the new highway and fishing can be very good in the right places.  Nor too far a ride up north from Key West.  

best place to Tarpon fish in the keys is near any fish cleaning table...    You might get in trouble, but you will hook up without question, unlike the many times  I have hired keys guides for my son and I to actually go out and fish for them and other than a few hook and tosses, we have yet to catch a Keys tarpon.   Quite frustrating to see them EVERYWHERE  around the spots you can't fish for them and gobble up scraps.    

We had to go to Miami of all places and have unbelievable tarpon action right at mouth of inlet on outgoing tide on live shrimp. 

• Agree 1

You picked the wrong guides.The Key's are loaded with big Tarpon in the spring,in the current under the overpasses of Rt 1.

You picked the wrong guides.The Key's are loaded with big Tarpon in the spring,in the current under the overpasses of Rt 1.

definitely had the wrong guides - the ones that "catch" definitely charge more!

Its worth it JH.Having a 120 lb Silver King tow you a mile out into the Gulf is AMAZING!

• Agree 2

i fished down there a bunch of times, from land you can fish malory square, jetty at fort zackery, as soon as you cross the bridge onto stock island you can rent kayaks and fish the bridge there or mangroves, also the next bridge past that i have fished off off that bridge along with other people. make sure you buy live shrimp if you want snappers, you will go through them quick. on malory square i would catch snappers and slice them so they bleed and live line under baloon with steel leader for baracuda. if your looking for a charter boat (party boat) i always went on here and caught snapper and grouper. also been on some private charters but cant recall their name

Went there last year for my 20th anniversary. Didn't fish, but had a blast. Def one of the best trips I ever did. Blue Heaven lobster eggs benedict for breakfast a must,,,,,,Now, I wanna go back!!

Blue Heaven.jpg

Edited by Lphunsjr
  • Agree 3

My First time there was with my ship in the Navy at The base there. The second was with my Father and Wife. We stayed at The Keywebster efficiency Eastside. We fished a Party Boat one Day Loaded up on Silver Red snappers that we gave to the Housekeepers who cooked a few and gave us back One day we Rented a Skiff with Outboard Fished off the Coastguard Station next to some anchored shrimp boats we had Shrimp Heads for bait all you wanted since they were Waist from processors. with that bait, we went on catching Fish of all descriptions anchored up. soon were invaded by Barracudas that proved constant action till we quit. not tired of catching But From The SUN.

We also fished the Bridge coming to Key West  & Bocachca.Key. For some fun there Was an intake from the ocean to a small inland lake just over the bridge next to The Keywebster Motel where we stayed Small barracuda would be hunting that lake incoming tide, when hooked, would explode jumping. we also used those shrimp Heads again.  

My advice use Protections For The SUN big time - Mosquitoes, and Noseeums at Night if you do any bridge fishing at night. Go on a Head boat trip. DO NOT wade out in the Flats the Coral bottom will eat you up. If you drive down from Miami Fish along the down most bridges have access and beach areas along the way. 

Suggestions eat in the Smaller home cooking places. Remember the real Keylime Pie has whipped Cream real Key Limes since we had an efficiency for some reason The Shrimp if you could get them were Much Cheaper as Jumbo Live Bait to eat. the Processors would not sell to the Public 

And keep in mine this was several Years ago before the Rainbows took over. and Hosea iWohhabay Completely spelled wrong was there. Good Luck Have Fun enjoy the Sunsets.  Almost forgot a trip to he Tortugas is a day trip to fish but why bother when all the fish you want are at your doorstep. 

Salty goat fishing charters Good group of guys y’all have fun

Edited by 20gauge
  • Agree 1